Silverstone GP/Britcar Races

General Paddock Chatter
Vincent Fox

Re: Silverstone GP/Britcar Races

Post by Vincent Fox »

Good to hear we agree on this important safety issue Simon. I put a link to where you can buy LED rear lights for £20 but it seems to have been deleted.

When I did 24 hour races I would coat my rain light wiring in Vaseline, it seemed to work well for keeping moisture out. As this is a product well used by many members it shouldn't be a problem to keep their rain lights working.

Vincent Fox

Post by Vincent Fox »

I think I will protest the results of the next wet race if the points finishers do not have working rain lights to club rules. That could make the points tally in the last two rounds very interesting. I wonder how sick you would feel losing a championship because a rain light wasnt worth checking. The Devil is in the detail, even in Norfolk :mrgreen:

Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Paperman »

Please read my previous post re: the inadvisability of this sort of criticism of marshals.

Simon Davey
Monoposto Racing Club Administrator

Vincent Fox

Post by Vincent Fox »

Simon, come on...are we living in a world where criticism isn't allowed? You might not have heard but the Bush/Blair axis is over! It's ok to say things like WMD's didn't exist or that rain lights should be working.

I don't care if you are a driver, a marshal, a committee member or just someone who turns up to watch races, we all share the same passion for this sport and ALL OF US should be promoting better safety standards.

Samier has every right to question the action of the officials when he sees a safety breach and surely you have a duty to convey his concerns to the organising body (BRSCC?)

I am appalled by some of the attitudes on this thread. We are talking about peoples SAFETY! By what authority morally or otherwise would you advise against highlighting safety issues???

Deleting this thread would only serve to convey a feeling that people are putting there own egos ahead of a general and understandable concern of the majority of drivers so please DON'T!

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

Vincent Fox wrote:Good to hear we agree on this important safety issue Simon. I put a link to where you can buy LED rear lights for £20 but it seems to have been deleted.

When I did 24 hour races I would coat my rain light wiring in Vaseline, it seemed to work well for keeping moisture out. As this is a product well used by many members it shouldn't be a problem to keep their rain lights working.
Or heat shrink every electrical connection or plug/socket.

If the little round ones are so bad how come they are FIA approved?

(you can buy the same thing from RS or Maplin for about 6 quid. They are segments from electronic scoreboards)
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

arty cameron
Marshal
Marshal

Post by arty cameron »

Hi guys, Ive just been reading the comments re. silverstone.

Firstly what a great track. I really enjoyed the high and medium speed corners and the slippery conditions- any excuse for drifting! Nice to see such a big grid- i know other formulae were impressed.

Secondly, rain lights. Can i just say like many other drivers the preparation that goes into my car is maticulous, and i can assure you my rain light worked and passed scrutineering! I agree they are better than nothing and definately would not knowingly not have it working. However after driving around in torrential rain and through rivers it gave up on me. I was unaware of this untill i went to the assembly area for the race and they pointed it out. I went back to fix it with no luck. I have to say thanks to DF motorsport and Chris Woodhouse for improvising! Karen identified the problem, Chris ran all around the paddock to find a torch and some red tape to cover then lens, and then they tank taped it onto my tail cover! It was rubbish in reality but what a great job!!!! Although this annoyed a few people I certainly was not going to loose out on my entry fee or my pole position, sorry! We all found it difficult to see, even those with functioning lights!

Geoff- thanks for the compliment but i can assure you my weekend wasnt boring! They were the worst conditions i have ever driven in- it was very hard just to keep it on the track. Anyway, all good fun and great to be at such a prestigious meeting! :D

Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Paperman »

In my view the derogatory comments (now deleted) that have been made in this thread are at best thoughtless, and will in no way help Monoposto talk constructively with the BRSCC and BritCar about the actual race management and other organisational issues which arose on Friday.

Thread locked and some posts deleted.

Simon Davey

Monoposto Racing Club
Administrator