Makes you think... (warning do not open if you are scared)

General Paddock Chatter
samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Makes you think... (warning do not open if you are scared)

Post by samier »

Jedis and bike engine cars come to mind, as they seem to have very little side impact protection. I also see the arguements about having carbon tubbed cars racing the bike engine cars.

Sorry, but I dont think this is appropriate for this forum. Link Deleted.
Russ
Last edited by samier on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Makes you think...

Post by RedRedWine »

Yunus

I haven't watched the vid as I'm squeamish because I switched it off when I saw the word "fatal" in the header. Although I understand you aren't being sensationalist and are linking for a very good reason, I would suggest you might like to put a warning about whether the vid does show a fatality. I know I once inadvertantly watched a youtube of a transport plane crashing on takeoff and I found it very disturbing.

I hope you understand, it's a "it's me not you" posting.

Best regards

Tony
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

I don't think there is anything particularly shocking in the video. There is no blood, guts or gore. You can see the driver, but he just looks as though he's been knocked out. However, the fact that it was fatal is a fair and reasonable reason not to watch it anyway.

To describe it, one car spins across the track and gets t-boned directly into the drivers hip area by another car - both of which are spaceframes. Obviously this is the weakest area of single seaters, and I doubt many carbon tubbed cars would fair any better either.

The thought of a Dallara doing that to a Jedi, JKS or FFord doesn't bear thinking about, so keeping those classes separate if at all possible is a very good idea.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Makes you think... (warning do not open if you are scared)

Post by jimblockley »

This is why Robin Dawe retired.

Having spun at Redgate a formula vauxhall lost control slid sideways into the nose of robin,s 98 Dallara,the nose pierced the sideplank(which look quite substantial) into the engine and pushing the engine over.
If that had been the drivers cockpit area who knows what the outcome could have been.

Jim, I have edited your post to remove some 'inaccuracies' in the story.
Russ

Teaboy
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Teaboy »

Samier,

I think that is very very bad form, and bordering on sick. Why whould you want to post that on a racing forum where wives and girlfriends may see it, and no i did not watch it. We all know the risks of racing and we dont need to be shown it.

Rich Whitefoot

Russ
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Russ »

tristancliffe wrote:The thought of a Dallara doing that to a Jedi, JKS or FFord doesn't bear thinking about, so keeping those classes separate if at all possible is a very good idea.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment.
Should we not race the 2L grid with FF1800's?
Should we ban the Comtec F4 style cars from any race with a Dallara in it?
They are all spaceframed FF's after all.
Perhaps the problem is just the Dallaras, perhaps we should have the Dallara race and then the others?
There is no solution to this concern, if the MRC or MSA could fix this concern they would, the only way to make racing completely safe is to not race!

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

Russ wrote:
tristancliffe wrote:The thought of a Dallara doing that to a Jedi, JKS or FFord doesn't bear thinking about, so keeping those classes separate if at all possible is a very good idea.
Whilst I agree with your sentiment.
Should we not race the 2L grid with FF1800's?
Should we ban the Comtec F4 style cars from any race with a Dallara in it?
They are all spaceframed FF's after all.
Perhaps the problem is just the Dallaras, perhaps we should have the Dallara race and then the others?
There is no solution to this concern, if the MRC or MSA could fix this concern they would, the only way to make racing completely safe is to not race!
I was hoping that "if at all possible" would save me from replies :D
I agree with your entirely Russ. There isn't a perfectly safe option and sometimes, for reasons of grid sizes, economics, organisation sense or overall safety, 'mixed' grids have to occur. There have been plenty of races I'm been at where either, say, the 1800s race with the Dallaras or one group doesn't race at all. I think we'd all prefer to race, and if we don't then we can always withdraw.

Perhaps just ban Dallaras and other carbon cars*

I wonder what is statistically more likely - a Dallara and a Jedi/JKS coming together like that (similar lap times), or a Dallara and a 1600 (usually quite different lap times!)? And lest not forget that Samier's example was of two spaceframe cars colliding, so maybe Mono should just do sprints and hillclimbs :p

We pays our moneys, we buys our cars, and we makes our choices. But I am happier wrapped in carbon fibres and glue than metal tubes and welds.

*this is a joke. Don't do it!
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

karl
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by karl »

I do not proclaim to be an expert on this topic,

I barely know what the different catagories of cars are. I supose if one car is built like a battering ram - compared with the others?

Defending the Jedi. I've been watching a few Jedi races and video footage. I watched the factory driver in the factory championship, clip a back markers rear wheel?- he took off, ended up upside down in the gravel trap, this all happened at high speed. He got out and said " for my next trick." I have heard of a few very fast crashes - with no injury's

In the work shop the top of the roll hoop was very slighly bent, not much the rest of the chassis held up, a lot of parts were still usable. so ......

They havent banned the Isle of mann TT yet. My friend crashed at 150mph last year and was riding again this year for phase 1 yamaha superbike. (obviously he didnt walk away) - he didnt hit anything, but he hasnt mentioned what would hurt more, a lime stone wall, iron stone, a tree?-

Luck of the draw me thinks!

I always used to say when my dad worried about me riding bikes - hey, if I dont suffer, I will have died happy.- sorry if that sounds insensative, it's always a shame when it goes bad.