GRID SIZES

General Paddock Chatter
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Re: GRID SIZES

Post by tristancliffe »

With sessions and races done by time (e.g. 15 minutes) how exactly do the slower cars miss out on track time?

What do you propose to alleviate concerns that carbon monocoques could do a lot of damage to a Jedi or Speads (or other trellis framed 400kg car)?

I personally believe it is safer, generally, to have a bigger spread of speeds such that everyone is aware of the big speed differential and takes it into account. 2000 versus 1000 means that there are often still large speed differentials even if the laptimes are vaguely similar. There could also be frustration of being stuck behind someone not in your class.

Why is there no room for argument or discussion about your words Geoff? Surely there is, because otherwise it would have been resolved years ago and not one single person would have room for complaint. But it isn't resolved, and people have opinions for and against each side of the coin. So it's not END OF SUBJECT..NO ARGUEMENT..PERIOD
Last edited by tristancliffe on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Post by TFR »

I wonder,if like me readers of the Forum are not sure when they read a post exactly who the author is,I think it would be a good idea if under "Author" we had displayed the persons actual name and if they race with us, their number and category,we could leave out when they joined (who cares).Just think it might help understand where they are coming from. This is also far less controversial than my usual ideas ,it is not a wind up,and has a good chance of being adopted? ( I think)
GF
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

I entirely agree Geoff

Soming i said on here a number of times

Why on all forums do posters have to use stupid handles!!!

perhaps they need that annonimity to have the confidence to say soming.

After al lit does not take long to work out who is who, so they can be banned.

I suppose on the more frivalous forums it has its place, but where a serious point is being made posters should be prepared to indentified

jim

conan
Marshal
Marshal

Post by conan »

Thats why i sign mine Mr B.
Every one in MRC knows who that is.
If there not in the club it dosent matter
I did offer to withdraw from the extra race if it was better for the club by the way.
Just wanted to make that clear.
Mr B.

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Dave »

I agree with Jeff on the name business.
I can't understand all the dopey names.
It would also make the forum a little more proffessional for any visitors looking in.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

I agree that user names, tags, handles call them what you will does confuse. I'm not entirely sure who some of you are. Some are obvious.

To correct this the easiest way would be to use the forums signature tool.

On the top right hand corner there is the user control panel. Click that. On the left hand side of the new screen is a 'profile' button. Click that. On the new screen, on the left hand side is an 'edit signature' button. Click that.

You can now enter a signature which gets placed under each post. This could be used for displaying your real name, as well as your class, car and race number and if you have your own website a link to that.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

Always hurts to agree with Geoff, but so do I.

It's a question of the culture of the time, when the forum started "handles" were the thing, will Stephen let me register anew as Tony Cotton?

One of the other points is that sometimes one can assume that a handle is somebody who it isn't. I had forgotten that Graham Probyn was Broadside and assumed "GP" was Graham. No offence to anybody, but it's illustrative of the sort of mistake possible.

Tony Cotton

(haven't got time to alter my signature now, work calls)
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

Russ
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Russ »

Dear All

From the forum rules, not that anyone reads them :(

5: Personal Details: As a member of this forum, if you wish to have the benefit of free speech, then in return you must also provide your REAL full name in your profile. Anonymity is not provided or acceptable here, so be warned!

Pigpen
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Pigpen »

To make a serious point: The problem with mixing any two or more classes is one of differing ability and performance. As a 1600 driver I have experienced many times the frustration of having to battle with a more powerful/faster car being driven by a slower/newer driver. When you are wringing every last drop of grip and speed out a 1600 car and manage to get past a Jedi or 1800, which by rights should be half a lap ahead, only to be passed again on the first bit of straight is annoying to say the least. But until we have enough members for one grid each this will always be the way.

Novices and old slowcoaches have just as much right to be on the track as anyone and unless we split the entire club by lap time we will always get the mismatch.

Dave Brady

broadside
Recovery
Recovery

Post by broadside »

RedRedWine wrote:Always hurts to agree with Geoff, but so do I.

It's a question of the culture of the time, when the forum started "handles" were the thing, will Stephen let me register anew as Tony Cotton?

One of the other points is that sometimes one can assume that a handle is somebody who it isn't. I had forgotten that Graham Probyn was Broadside and assumed "GP" was Graham. No offence to anybody, but it's illustrative of the sort of mistake possible.

Tony Cotton

(haven't got time to alter my signature now, work calls)
I get confused myself when I see GP!!! the only reason I used Broadside was because when I joined it seemed the done thing, but unlike many my name and town is on my profile and I use a real picture of my car / number.
I don't think I usually say anything controversial anyway - I like an easy life too much! but I'm certainly happy to use my real name instead.....

Good luck to all this weekend !

Graham P
Graham P
Reynard 863 No17

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AndyY »

Someone mentioned "going over old ground" earlier in this thread, particularly with respect to the safety implications of spaceframed bike engined cars (Mono 1000 & 1400) running with carbon tubbed cars (Mono 2000). Basically its generally considered to be undafe to run the two together in case a space framed car gets hit bu a carbon tubbed car. No one seems to have told Chris Woodhouse...he's entered in the EuroBoss race this weekend in his Speads. Yes, thats right, he's going to run his spaceframed bike engined car amongst all the carbon tubbed F1, Indycar, IRL & F3000 cars. And no, its not a mis-print.
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AndyY »

And if running spaceframe cars, particularly motorbike engined cars, alongside the carbon tubbed cars is so dangerous how come a few motorbike engined cars were happy to race alongside the Mono 2000s in the recent non-championship race at Mallory?
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Interesting point...

karl
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by karl »

I my self have no valid view based on lack of expierence, But speaking to the guy's who race the same car as I hope to soon, they have told me it is a bit of a touchy subject 2ltr cars and 1000cc b.e.c. cars.

These guy's do not compete in mono (have done at some point) who's lap times at the same circuits are even faster than in the mono classes.

They state that while general testing throughout the year they have found 2lt cars can be a pain. The b.e.c cars charge through the corners and they get held up, I guess the 2ltr cars are quicker else where? I have been told it can get dangerous and have hurd of several crashes this year at general testing involving 2000cc type cars, a formula ford etc... with the 1000cc type cars involving corner speed.

That a side, I think its more fun to have different cars to contend with - as long as it doesnt ruin the flow of the driving! But I supose If your fast coming into/through the corners is not ideal if other cars get in the way? Maybe the 2ltr boys are worried? What was it Tristan "mini motos" or something, lol - Yes, I know I shouldnt be opinionated, I watched Tristan driving on a video clip, he looked fast and I'm bound to be useless when I eventually get my car out-.

Im curious about these 2ltr cars, hope fully I will see a few at silverstone for the first time.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I call them 'mini-monos' genuinely affectionately. It is not my intention to belittle them in any way. It's just easier to say, and describes the reduced engine capacity.

Don't worry about speed. You'll be making me look rubbish before you know it. If you want a challenge try to match the abilities of the Woodhouses, Impeys, Timmsys and Harrisonnies (the latter didn't work as well in this daft plural thing I started doing).

We'll welcome you to the track and paddock, and I'm looking forward to meeting you!
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012