Overalls.........

General Paddock Chatter
mwalters
Recovery
Recovery

Overalls.........

Post by mwalters »

...looking through the blue book it's not clear (infact it doesn't state at all) whether race overalls are dated i.e do they need replacing after so many years etc?

As far as I can see, so long as the overalls comply with the details on page 164 sect K9.1.1, they do not have a life span.....or am I wrong?

My overalls have the FIA label and what looks like a date range 03-2007/03-2012, so my take on this are that the suit runs out of MSA use in march 2012???

Any thoughts on this?
- you only live once! -

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Overalls.........

Post by stevengriffin »

My understanding is that overalls and underwear are not 'dated' but they just bring out new FIA standards occasionally which are. This was pointed out to me last year at Spa as my gloves, balaclava and underwear although FIA compliant when I bought them were no longer to the correct spec ie a newer FIA spec. Needless to say I just wore them anyway. The scrutineer even had another go at me on the grid. I ignored him- I suddenly and magically forgot all my schoolboy French. I wasn't about to take my gloves and undies off on the grid. Seat belts seemt to be the only thing we have in UK that are actually dated. I may be wrong.

mwalters
Recovery
Recovery

Post by mwalters »

I thought that was the case! I still cant understand why the scrutineer at Snetterton took issue with my suit when the same suit was checked and passed at Anglesey with no issue!?

I was bordering on fuming at the fact that the scrutineer didnt even look at the car, extinguisher, helmet etc.. But took issue with a compliant suit saying it was a kart suit????? But then again, not having a scrutineer (of that calibre) sniffing round my car was probably better anyway. Not that im saying there was anything un-toward with my car though!!!

Needless to say, the old suit has gone and im on the look out for a new one. White was never my colour anyway?!

Matt.
- you only live once! -

Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Paperman »

There is now only one standard which is accepted by the MSA for Race Suits. It's FIA 8856-2000, and this must be embroidered onto the suit or shown on a label sewn onto the suit. Label from my own overalls is pictured here (I hope).
Race Suit FIA Badge.jpg
You'll see the label does not show a date range as you described, so I suspect that your suit was not in fact an FIA 8856-2000 compliant suit. However the label does show a date of manufacture although currently the Regs do not require Race Suits to be "lifed". You will get them failed if they are dirty or torn though.

As you can see from my label, I use AWS race kit. They are I think the only manufacturer who makes FIA approved race suits actually in the UK, and they do a very good value made-to-measure service, which if you have short legs like me is a major plus...

Simon Davey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.