Truck or not to Truck

General Paddock Chatter
omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Truck or not to Truck

Post by omsracer »

I am thingking of moving to a 7.5t truck to transport my race car and Mazda RX8 track day car around and wondered if those people with these trucks or who have had them in the past could give me some feedback on whether they are a good idea or not.

I have heard a lot of negatives but still think they are a good idea instead of hauling a heavy trailer in and out of my yard. All feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

Dermot Healy
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Truck or not to Truck

Post by Dermot Healy »

a) 14-15mpg (oh no, mine will do 17-18mpg...emmmmmm....maybe)
b) Stuck in the paddock & you can't escape...unlike trailer combination where you can use towcar
c) VOSA sitting at roundabouts/side of motorways ready to make your life a misery
d) Where do you park the thing
e) What happens when the taillift stops working with cars inside
f) If the engine stops for some reason the thing won't move
g) Batteries are always flat
h) Brakes always need something/and there is always an oil leak to repair for the Ministry test
i) 7.5t trucks loaded with usual tools/fuel/spare wheels+race car are always to v.close to, or over, weight limit
i) What happens when you get a puncture or have a problem en route - No nice AA & RAC
(yes they will do commercial vehicles but read the terms & conditions & you'll get a nasty surprise)
j) You have to pretend it is a Motorhome to get on Ferries at a reasonable price...but then on the way back they will refuse to let you board .....without paying £££££
k) At motorway service areas you park with the lorries. I can smell the urine from here.
l) When you fall off your pit bike and hurt your toe...nobody else can drive the lorry home as their licence/insurance probably wont cover 'em.
m) You get bored going up hills even if the lorry is a modern derestricted thing
n) Lorries depreciate & are hard to sell - trailers don't depreciate & sell easily
o) Unless it is modern it may fall foul of Low Emission Zones
p) People will expect you to assist with house moves
q) Your friends/family will interpret your purchase as a sign of insecurity about your gender

You'd be better buying my massive Clamshell trailer...loads of space & none of the aggravation!

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/2 ... orter.html

Was looking at this myself yesterday, seems a good price? but 14-15 mpg? and some other good points raised...Mr Dermott... Might just have to stick to the Trailer instead...

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

I have an Iveco 7.5 tonner and although Dermot has many good points he doesn't cover them all..
-When we tow a caravan my wife wants to put a paper bag over her head in case any of her friends think she has gone off with a 'Pikey'.
-The pleasure I get from driving the truck, I think it's the Yorkie Bar thing.
-When it rains the truck becomes a nice enclosed workshop.
-Unlimited stuff can be brought to the circuit, although I usually manage to leave the thing I wanted back at the workshop.
The cost is okay, I bought my truck from the Co-op, it had been to Jupiter and back before I got it but it passes the very stringent VOSA tests every year without trouble. I paid £5k a few years back. The fuel consumption is no big deal, if I tow with a car I only get about 20mpg tops so what's the problem with 16-18 mpg of the truck.
If you add a caravan to a truck you have a much much cheaper outfit than a motorhome and trailer and you have a caravan when want to use it for holidays (should that be your thing). Think about it, truck £5k, tidy second hand caravan £3k, £8k for the lot. See what kind of motorhome you can get for that?
My excuse is that the main role model in my life is Toad of Toad Hall. Poop poop. :D

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

If I don't post it Dave Brady will have to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism