Donington Experience and the BRSCC

General Paddock Chatter
omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Donington Experience and the BRSCC

Post by omsracer »

The BRSCC are not ignoring us. They have been in constant contact with me since the abandonment and are trying to arrange another meeting for us at Donington.

As yet that has not been achieved despite their best attempts. I would not expect them to contact every member personally to inform them of that process, that is what the race committee is for.

We were not offered the August 1st meeting as they were aware we were racing at Silverstone on that day.

As soon as we have something that is concrete and watertight we will be intouch with everyone. If anyone has any concerns about this process please contact me or Simon Davey directly and we will try to answer any questions.

Regards
Peter Whitmore
Monoposto Racing Committee Chairman
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

A little birdie pointed me in the direction of the free literature that comes with a race licence, particularly C(a)59 [page 134]. Allow me to quote it as found in the electronic version (other versions are available, and may be amended subsequently):
59. Refund of Entry Fees. An entrant shall have the
right of a refund of the entry fee only if:
(a) The event is cancelled, or postponed for more
than 12 hours, unless the SRs have provided for a
specified part to be retained towards administrative
expenses.
(b) An otherwise eligible reserve entry is not
permitted to take part in the event.
(c) An entry is withdrawn as provided by 58(f).
(d) An entry is refused.
(e) Provision is made in the SRs for full or partial
refund to a competitor notifying the organisers IN
WRITING prior to a specified date, that he wishes to
withdraw his entry.
To my uneducated eye that means that we should be receiving a refund from the BRSCC regardless. Entries to replacement rounds would then be as normal, rather than carrying over payment (although I would suppose that this could be arranged on an individual basis with the BRSCC if you spoke to them).

I gather, via the grapevine and rumour mill, that the MRC and the BRSCC are exploring the replacement round route, but so far all possible dates clash with existing MRC meetings.

Before I clicked Submit I found these entries in the Donington regulations document that was on the main website (direct link here):
The Organisers reserve the right to postpone, abandon or cancel the meeting or any part thereof. In this event the competitor or entrant has no right to claim against the Organisers in respect of any loss or expense he may thereby incur.
and
In the unlikely event that the round does not happen, BRSCC reserves the right to retain an appropriate administration fee.
Again, my uneducated brain feels that this means the BRSCC might take an unspecified administration fee, but other than that we should get our money back. The first disclaimer is, I think, to stop people claiming race preparation costs or transport costs from the BRSCC.

I'm sure those with more brains, or more legal minds, will be able to correct me on any of these points, but I'm hoping that this will stop any form of panic that might be forming in the imaginations of the membership.

Note: I was writing this whilst Peter was writing his post. Mine is not a reply to his, but in parallel with his (sort of). Thanks for the update Peter.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

I have spoke to Drew at the BRSCC yesterday as there has not been much interms of updates prior to today. He suggested dates of mid July for Donington, but as I understand that is in discussion with the MRC.

I hope this is resolved one way or another with out it getting to a stage where people get involved in legal action etc.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

samier wrote:I hope this is resolved one way or another with out it getting to a stage where people get involved in legal action etc.
No, it isn't anywhere close to legal action. Legal action for something so trivial, when the powers that be (MRC and BRSCC) are doing their utmost to find a 'solution', and when the timescales have been so small, would be silly.

What it is time for is waiting patiently and trusting those that are in the process of finding a solution.

In case you haven't noticed most UK tracks are raced on most weekends, and usually to capacity. It isn't as simple as picking a date a month from now and going racing. We have to find a meeting that doesn't clash with existing meetings, that isn't prohibitively expensive, with enough room for two grids... and so and so forth.

Keep an eye on your knickers, remove any twists that appear, and relax. You will not end up appreciably out of pocket from this (i.e. admin fees, which won't be terribly excessive)
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

I am not relaxed as I have nothing to show for my missing £200!... I will be relaxed when a resolution is found!

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I could say "Would you have had anything to show for your £200 if we had raced?", but that'd be rude and nasty, so I won't.

I know you're new to the club - have you chatted to people in the club like Peter Whitmore, Nick Harrison, Stephen Brooks, Patrick Huston, Doug McLay, Russ Giles, Tony Cotton, Simon Davey, Jonathan Baggot, David Cox, and all the other people that are involved in the smooth running of the MRC? If you have, then you'll see that your battle is being fought by intelligent, trustworthy and capable people with far more experience in motorsport individually (let alone collectively) than you or I are every likely to reach.

I'd relax and trust them if I were you. In motorsport terms a missing £200 for a few weeks isn't that big a deal really. You'll spend that in an instant if you hit something.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

I am not asking for your wise cracks or opinion! I made some points about how I felt about this situation. I never once said people are either stupid or those involved in trying to get refunds are retarded.

Please learn not to analyse every comment I make here and add your smart ass comments. When ever I post my views or say something, it seems like its only ever you who responds. I will respond back and if I find your comments out of order I will say something which you may not find nice. So lets avoid these situations from happening at all.

captiv8ted
Marshal
Marshal

Post by captiv8ted »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GP
Marshal
Marshal

Post by GP »

Samir you are absolutely correct to be disapointed with remarks directed at you in reference to the BRSCC and the Donnington shambles. No other business can operate by treating customers in this appalling manner. The bottom line is funds have been paid in good and trusting faith by drivers to race . For once it would be nice if the BRSCC REPAID this trust by common respect and also returned any outstanding entry fees.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

In what have the BRSCC treated us appallingly?

broadside
Recovery
Recovery

Post by broadside »

For the avoidance of any confusion the comments of 'GP' are not mine (although I think he does have a point - it would be nice to get an update)
Graham P
Reynard 863 No17

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

I have raced with the BRSCC for ten years on and off when I raced with Alfas. They are expensive but they do go to the best tracks. However you have to be a 'racing member' to do their series which means a fee similar to a race entry as well as your club membership and your licence before you can even enter a race.
It is my experience that they sometimes change timetables very late (sound familiar anyone?), they do crazy things like put a single header race on late in the programme when others having double headers have had both races earlier. On one occasion I remember our series not racing when another club had run both their races. As I said in an earlier posting, I have great reservations about the BRSCC, the fact that we have not received refunds or been given the option of another race ( a choice would be nice!) despite our very able mono committee negotiators says a lot about the BRSCC.
I thoroughly applaud the Mono club joining up with the CSCC generally a much better organising group, 750 club are pretty good as well. Ho hum..................

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

We just have to wait and see what the outcome is, I am sure discussions are going on. Yes would be nice to get frequent updates.

I hope things are settled sooner rather than later. Personally I do hope we can race at Donnington.

When things are going good we cannot say how good a club is. Itswhen things go wrong thats when we see how good they are.. I guess now we are seeing it... people can make up their own minds as to how they view the BRSCC.

omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Post by omsracer »

Please look at the Club Matters section where you will find an update to the Donington situation that will hopefully find favor with you.

Regards
Peter Whitmore
Monoposto Racing Committee
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

GP
Marshal
Marshal

Post by GP »

I am pleased a conclusion has been reached. however after the horrendus way we were treated back in august [ silverstone 2007 ] . With no apolagy no refund and not even any letter in response to mine. Both from the MSA or the BRSCC. Only a bad taste was left with me and natrually a more than cynical view.Let us all hope this is a turning point after all we are all involved. For one reason MOTOR RACING.and it is sad when so much effort time and commitment. On the parts of Compettitors and club officials seems at times to be thrown away. And taken for granted. Well done to all involved in concluding this issue. We all need each other to survive.Lets hope the weather holds?. ps Samier try to hang on in there because when motor racing is fun its FANTASTIC.