Trailer box conversion

General Paddock Chatter
samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Trailer box conversion

Post by samier »

I seem to remember a few people getting theirs done.. Any details on who did the conversion? Costs etc?

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Re: Trailer box conversion

Post by tristancliffe »

Probably a local trailer company. Yellow Pages?
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Dont really get many trailer companies in London....

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I'm sure there are plenty in and around Greater London. It's the capital city, not a residential village.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

you would find more trailers and trailer companies out in the sticks than in a city like London hence why I posted.. People here I believe have had theirs converted.

ofarc
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by ofarc »

speak to Mono2000 competitor Graham Read. He does alot of these inluding the internals to our double one. His work is second to none.

Cheers Dax
St. Cross Electronics - Quality Cable Assemblies for the motorsport industry and beyond.
www.motorsportcables.com
www.st-cross-electronics.co.uk

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Thank you. Can you please pm me his contact details?

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

I have Jim Blockley's old red trailer - it was professionaly coachbuilt and is often admired. Builder's name and phone are on it, pm me if you want the details. Gloucester area if I remember correctly. Or come by at Donington.
Schomosport

J Chapman
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by J Chapman »

Try Mike Gardner

http://www.gtmotorsportuk.com/

He's an agent for BJ Trailers and does some really nice bespoke trailer covers. All fabric, but good quaity probably ligher and cheaper than plastic/GRP. He's up at Newark probably 2/3 hours North of London depending on where in London you are.
James Chapman
Car #78
Mono 1800

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

I had my 2 wheeler converted because Dallaras go soggy on an open trailer and I can't manoeuvre a 4 wheeler in my drive. I'm delighted with the job they did and I can give you details BUT there are 2 very big caveats.

1 It's not a cheap route to have a box built. MUCH cheaper is to buy a decent second hand box trailer. What a pity there isn't somebody who advertises on the forum and has quality pre-enjoyed products at bargain prices.........oh, hang on......
2 You are pretty well stuck with 2 fixed features - the CoG of the box and where the axles are on your trailer. You can move them at a cost, of course, and it's less critical on a 4 wheeler, but the CoG will change which can make loading more critical.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

or you could do what i did

Buy a load of aluminium sheets and some commercial profiles,a few thousand rivets and a bit of glue

Job done

the company the that built my original red trailer that Mark has went bust years ago.
Thats why i built the one i have now, much cheaper, materials where about £2000 new Brian James 16ft 2ton a class trailer was About £2000 if i remember plus paint total cost less than £5000

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

for these conversions what kind of money are were talking about? if its 3 or 4k may as well buy a used race shuttle or something similar.

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

£2k-£3k, perhaps less if they cut corners and forget to charge VAT. Don't forget that if you can't sell your trailer for about £700-£800 it's probably not worth building a box on it. So in reality, if you can get a good box trailer under £3k it's a cheaper proposition. But as Dermot says, the brakes and lights won't work because when trailers change hands the brake and light fairies knacker them.

If you go Jim's route, have a word with me about rivets. We're agents at work for avdel so the prices tend to be a bit cheaper than retail places. Same applies to handles and hinges.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

Second hand trailers been their done that. Twice got home from snett very late only to find next morning 3 wheels on my wagon :(

Trailers are worse than cars they never get serviced, as Dermott says nothing works and its all rusty and the wheels fall off. The wonderful boys in blue and traffic management motorway guys like nothing better than dragging you in for roadworthness and weight check.

If you can find a good use race shuttle for 4k buy it, but i suggest they few available for that price.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

My trailer is not the best its pretty heavy and agricultural. Even the ramps weight a lot.

Maybe i should just ebay it off and see what I get for it. Im sure the newer ones are a lot lighter in weight.