Re: 2000 restricters ?

Post by Paperman »

Post on this thread deleted by Simon Davey

Richard Purcell
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Richard Purcell »

Hello chaps, It is very rare that I look at the forum, bored in a hotel room, but just read this thread and although Tristan the beggar, always beats me, he is right with his comments about various aspects of mono apart from a couple of small things, I am not quicker than him, but I am working on it. It does help to spend money as there is no doubt in my mind that racing and money go hand in hand, however I do feel that you should rent my car for £600 for a test session and then you will go and buy a dallara as they are a nice piece of kit especially for a 15 minute race. Sorry to tell you but the Renault is not the better option, but it is pretty.
Tristan has big sphericals and drives at 110%, I think jeremy in tristans well prepared car would be quicker, but I also think samier that if you or I were in the same car we wouldn't be as quick as Tristan or jeremy, so the moral of the story is that if you want to win and you are not as quick spend money on the car, trust me it works I am living proof.

Just to make you both jealous- I am driving the mclaren new motor in the morning round Top Gears test track and trust me it will be quick because they throw money at it, but I will not be quick as many of the other people there cos I am a pussy. XXX love to you both

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

Richard Purcell wrote:he is right with his comments about various aspects of mono apart from a couple of small things, I am not quicker than him, but I am working on it
Then stop appearing in my mirrors! Especially at Donington where I wasn't trying to pace myself once you got within half a second of me.

So much for no competition matey!!!
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Anson
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Anson »

Richard Purcell wrote:Hello chaps, It is very rare that I look at the forum, bored in a hotel room, but just read this thread and although Tristan the beggar, always beats me, he is right with his comments about various aspects of mono apart from a couple of small things, I am not quicker than him, but I am working on it. It does help to spend money as there is no doubt in my mind that racing and money go hand in hand, however I do feel that you should rent my car for £600 for a test session and then you will go and buy a dallara as they are a nice piece of kit especially for a 15 minute race. Sorry to tell you but the Renault is not the better option, but it is pretty.
Tristan has big sphericals and drives at 110%, I think jeremy in tristans well prepared car would be quicker, but I also think samier that if you or I were in the same car we wouldn't be as quick as Tristan or jeremy, so the moral of the story is that if you want to win and you are not as quick spend money on the car, trust me it works I am living proof.

Just to make you both jealous- I am driving the mclaren new motor in the morning round Top Gears test track and trust me it will be quick because they throw money at it, but I will not be quick as many of the other people there cos I am a pussy. XXX love to you both

Richard - I would love to take you up on the offer of a test in your Dallara for £600 ! Does the offer apply to me as well??
Peter Venn

Richard Purcell
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Richard Purcell »

Peter, sounds like a plan. dropme a mail and I would be pleased to organise a date. Like the old days

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Thanks for the offer Richard, but F3 is something to think about in the future.

As for people saying I cannot drive or I am so slow, well thats fine also.. I use that as extra motivation... If I was worried or put off, I would have called it a day after Mallory 08 or Brands 10. Lol

I think people tend to forget their own driving in their first and second seasons.. I can pick out a lot of faults, missing apexes, inconsistant lines, coasting in neutral for a few seconds, using the wrong gear in corners... but its ok, I am sure they are aware of the mistakes they made. As with time people improve and get better.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

And quite right. We all make mistakes. We were all new to it once. And we all continue to make mistakes, although hopefully not as frequently as before. As long as the pace is there on a relatively mistake-free lap (which is fairly obvious by the first or second race meeting) then it's just a case of polishing the 'product'. If, after several years, lots of testing, and several cars, the basic driving is still eluding them (wrong lines, getting on the power several miles after an apex, being unable to let the car dance when it's all going right) then there is little that practice, coaching or good intentions can do.

So fair play for sticking at it in the face of adversity.
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Would be very worrying if that was the case..

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

To continue my nothing-to-hide phase, here is a video of my qualifying lap at Donington on the Sunday. No data, but I'm sure nobody will care. By no means a 'perfect' lap, but there was quite a lot of commitment. Getting on the power into Old Hairpin despite being in a big slide was fairly exciting, I used too much left hand kerb on the way into Coppice which cost me a couple of mph, and I'm rubbish at the final chicane.

http://vimeo.com/22129778

Hmmm, 68 views already... I'm always happy to watch other peoples videos and look at datalogging to help them go quicker if they want my thoughts.

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

Formula Renault not competitive?

P2 Kourosh KHANI Formula Renault.

Discussion closed?
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

And he was slightly slower on a 37mm restrictor than Matthew Draper went in 2010 on a 35mm restrictor...

http://www.endless-c.com/sport/index.ph ... &Itemid=58

broadside
Recovery
Recovery

Post by broadside »

Interesting link Tristan, can't help thinking I've seen that car before...................... :lol:
Graham P
Reynard 863 No17

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

lee wrote:Formula Renault not competitive?

P2 Kourosh KHANI Formula Renault.

Discussion closed?
Why is the discussion closed?

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

Because the Renault was competitive? And that was, as you admit, the first time you'd got the setup even close to sensible. Imagine how much quicker it might have gone with a better setup, some decent tyres, and Matt Draper or Jeremy Timms in it!!

Edit: Under the current regs, Classic2000 cars can beat 2000 cars, especially in the wet. Formula Renaults can beat 2000s at tighter, twister tracks (and potentially faster tracks too given better tyres) and 1000s can beat 2000s pretty much everywhere. Carb'd 2000s can beat injected 2000s. Vauxhalls can beat Toyotas. I'd say the regs are pretty well balanced. If some cars were allowed derestricted, tuned VTec injection engines, then why shouldn't everyone?

Antel Motorsport

Post by Antel Motorsport »

I think you need to have a look through some BARC results Tristan if you believe that Matt or Jeremy would have gone any quicker than Kourosh!