2000 restricters ?

General Paddock Chatter
broadside
Recovery
Recovery

Re: 2000 restricters ?

Post by broadside »

I would imagine the latest aero package and a sequential box is worth far more than a few extra horsepower :D
Graham P
Reynard 863 No17

Nat Filmore

Post by Nat Filmore »

broadside wrote:I would imagine the latest aero package and a sequential box is worth far more than a few extra horsepower :D
What, like on a BARC F Renault?

Anson
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Anson »

For what it is worth, I have spoken to two different engine builders about the benefits of throttle bodies.
One told me he would rather stay with carbs if the size is free ie use 45 or 48s with engine management rather than go to small throttle bodies of 40mm.
The other said yes, 40mm throttle bodies but don't expect more than 5bhp as a gain.

Phil Moore commented on my Anson passing him at Spa when he was geared for 166mph - but that had more to do with running a low drag & downforce on the front and rear wings but the ground effect still enabling me to take Eau Rouge flat and then getting a tow from him up the hill than it did with outright power figures. The point being not that I had more power than him but circumstances allowed my car to be quicker at that part of the circuit. Tristans speed was most impressive at Thruxton but he was fired up after the stall at the start and that of all places is the one where even a small top-end power advantage should show.

Personally I think he'd have won the championship last year if he'd been running carbs....so don't look to the throttle bodies as a reason he's quick
Peter Venn

scorchio
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scorchio »

Personally I think he'd have won the championship last year if he'd been running carbs....so don't look to the throttle bodies as a reason he's quick
I don't doubt you either. He is a quick driver, and young. The whole team does a great job and his
success is down to his driving ability and team.

There are a few drivers who have moved from carbs to TB's and gone quite a bit faster!

Let's just see if the lap records get blown away?

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

Tristans speed at Thruxton is mostly through the corners and running little wing. If you watch his video you'll see when he starts lapping some people in 2 litres that its not sheer grunt that made him quick. Same with Jeremy's race at Snetterton from the back of the grid. Its aero, brakes and faith in your setup and tyres.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Nat Filmore

Post by Nat Filmore »

scorchio wrote:
I don't doubt you either. He is a quick driver, and young. The whole team does a great job and his
success is down to his driving ability and team.
Also I'm sure no stone was left unturned. Mechanical detail, accuracy, deep thought, tyres, perseverence, etc. etc. It's a big deal to win any seriously contested championship.
Last edited by Nat Filmore on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

Most people are better dancers than me! I am hoping to one day be an embarrassing old person at a wedding reception doing 50 years out of date 'moves' in the middle of the dance floor. Until then, I'll hide near the door.

And that's despite being in a theatre show next week in which I am required to dance and sing. Gulp!

And no matter how nicely Jeremy talks of me, I remain in awe of his ability. Until I'm as good as he I won't stop trying to learn how he does it.
Last edited by tristancliffe on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Nat Filmore

Post by Nat Filmore »

Oops! Edited the dancing reference out out of respect. To restore this for continuity I bet Arty Cameron is a better dancer.....

Tris, do you think it'd possible be a better dancer than you simply with less restrictive French shoes?

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

I should have continued salsa classes...

Might have to start soon, the ratio of men v girls is pretty good.. usually 1:5 girls! :D

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Nat Filmore wrote:
broadside wrote:I would imagine the latest aero package and a sequential box is worth far more than a few extra horsepower :D
What, like on a BARC F Renault?
There is not only the FR that has a sequential box, I seem to remember a 2002 Dallara driven by Chris Woodhouse that also has a sequential box and the aero is considered latest compared to the F397/8 399/300/301.

I heard there are some 12 dallaras this year in mono 2000.. Im sure we will see some of those.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

Many people suggest that the sequential is actually no quicker, although perhaps it's a little 'easier' over a race distance.

Edit: Yes, if Mono allowed unrestricted European shoes I would be several beats better at dancing. But I'll do the laces up my way, rather than the way people suggest.

Samier: If you're in Mono to meet/impress girls then you need your head examined! :D

Edit2: you also heard that Toyota Mono engines produce 11hp, so should we assume there are actually 25 Dallaras out in 2011?
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Mono is no place for pulling girls, im not sure if thats because the old boys scare them away lol.... shame, we should however get some promo girls for this year..

As for salsa, yeah you can go to a salsa club and the number of girls outstrip the guys so its a good place to meet girls.. if you impress them you might be lucky to take them home with you!;)
Last edited by samier on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

samier wrote:Mono is no place for girls, im not sure if thats because the old boys scare them away lol.... shame, we should however get some promo girls for this year..

As for salsa, yeah you can go to a salsa club and the number of girls outstrip the guys so its a good place to meet girls.. if you impress them you might be lucky to take them home with you!;)
Woah! On so many levels, just... woah!

What are these promo girls going to promote? Why is Mono no place for girls? Who is going to pay for promo girls?

It's sn interesting insight into your opinion of women though.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

a typo can easily change the meaning of the sentence....

now corrected...

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Post deleted by Simon Davey