"Pro" Teams in Mono

General Paddock Chatter
Nat Filmore

Re: "Pro" Teams in Mono

Post by Nat Filmore »

ArtyB wrote:
Nat Filmore wrote: Also they manage it at every hillclimb and sprint.
You must go to some posh places! (Other than SW)
TBF I don't remember myself or anyone I've ever been involved with not having an allocated spot at any speed event, however humble the event, apart from during the notorious "Turf Wars of Longleat" of course, but there there were Lions involved.

I do know that the Mono Great & Good are contemplating the paddock space issue.
Last edited by Nat Filmore on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Post by Nick Harrison »

Nat Filmore wrote:
ArtyB wrote:
Nat Filmore wrote: Also they manage it at every hillclimb and sprint.
You must go to some posh places! (Other than SW)
I don't remember myself or anyone I've ever been involved with not having an allocated spot at any speed event, however humble the event, apart from the notorious "Turf Wars" of Longleat of course, but there there were Lions involved.
You have not been to Ireland then?

Nat Filmore

Post by Nat Filmore »

Yup once, don't remember a problem. Bouley Bay was the hardest work but amicably sorted.

Have to say it was Magic who saved Tony at Croft. We arrived very late on Friday after a nightmare journey (contrary to appearances/popular belief he is not an OAP and still works). The Mono area was full, so we dumped the trailer in some other classes area, but next day Magic let us share their spot. Also the boys were magic with cuppas and craic etc., but essentially they are hillclimbers so you expect nothing less. However have to say Parki did the same for us at Snett the previous year.
Last edited by Nat Filmore on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phuston
Recovery
Recovery

Post by phuston »

Tony wrote 'outsiders coming in for a quick buck'. :shock:

The Treasurer must have worked out a way of racing Monoposto that escapes me.
Patrick H
Mono1800 Rep & Club Sec

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

Croft'10 was ridiculous though, especially with the amount of paddock that was left unused.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

I guess as the Club F3 is the MSVR's flagship series, we will not have a chance in getting garages next season? Did Monoposto ever get allocated garages in the past? I dont mean an odd event here or there.

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Post by Nick Harrison »

samier wrote:I guess as the Club F3 is the MSVR's flagship series, we will not have a chance in getting garages next season? Did Monoposto ever get allocated garages in the past? I dont mean an odd event here or there.
F3 Cup will not be having garages either. Usually allocated at MSVR meetings to GT Cup.

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

samier wrote:I guess as the Club F3 is the MSVR's flagship series, we will not have a chance in getting garages next season? Did Monoposto ever get allocated garages in the past? I dont mean an odd event here or there.
Your best chance of a garage is Spa. Book your ferry now!
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

GT Cup is not always on the same race meeting as Mono. If GT Cup isn't there, GT Trophy is.

However, we got the garages at Thruxton and GT Cup were there...
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Post by Nick Harrison »

andrewcliffe wrote:GT Cup is not always on the same race meeting as Mono. If GT Cup isn't there, GT Trophy is.

However, we got the garages at Thruxton and GT Cup were there...

Too wide or too narrow depending on which end of the telescope you are looking through.

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

Thought that might be the case although BTCC manage including doing wheel alignment and so on in the garages.

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

RedRedWine wrote:Also while I'm having a whinge, the increased "professionalism" of big rigs means paddocks are overcrowded with little parking for late comers which is one of the reasons I couldn't face one race meeting last year and pulled out at the last minute from a meeting with one of the country's worst paddocks. And is one of the reasons I probably won't do a race this year either at that same circuit.
I'm with Tony here - no names , no pack-drill but we have our fair share of 'b'#'/er you I'm all right jack' offenders when it comes to paddock parking. And it is by no means limited to the 'big rig' teams who, where running multiple cars, probably collectively take up less space than if all the cars came on seperate trailers. Some types seem to want an enormous amount of space for car, trailer, awning and tow vehicle. Funny how it always seems to turn out that Snetterton circuit is one that gives some of the biggest parking headaches though....
Schomosport

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

The nearest thing we have had in Mono to a professional driver in my memory was Jonathan Lewis. He always turned up with an immaculately prepared car, he had a neat truck and generally drove his 1800cc car to victory in the 2000 class.
His on-track manners were always clean, well when he lapped me they were anyway.. He was always good for advice and help and my recollection of having him around was that he raised the bar in our club.
I don't know the guy but he was always nice to me. He was also quicker in the wet than I was in the dry but that says more about me than him I suspect.
The question I would ask is why would professional drivers would want to race in mono?
Beating a bunch of middle aged accountants/doctors/car dealers etc in ten year old cars is hardly the route to being asked to stand in for Lewis Hamilton when he is away on sick leave is it?

Nat Filmore

Post by Nat Filmore »

Ah. Jonathan Lewis was a pro driver about 25 years ago but didn't progress beyond a certain level. He then became a pro Team Manager (JLR x 2, Martin Donnelly, DC Cook etc., etc.). I have no idea why he came into Mono, possibly for the sheer love of racing, but understand his behaviour there was impeccable and he was a credit to the formula, but he was far from being a "pro driver". The only reason such would want to race in mono is because a) Wealthy karting Dads desperate for their child to win looking for a new arena because someone else's kid has more talent and their Dad more money (never overtly acknowledged of course). Then there is b) the wealthy mature successful businessman gentleman racer keen on winning, but whom has been forced out of formulae like BARC Renault because of a). c) "Pro teams" looking to earn a quick buck because of a) and b). Unfortunately I have no way of relating this to the heart surgery business. PS Those pegs Mrs G sold me are fab.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

Nat, I think you should relax and not get worked up by thoughts of pro teams, pro drivers, pro cars, pro trucks...chill and enjoy your life!! :mrgreen: