FIA Race Suit Recommendation

General Paddock Chatter
Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

FIA Race Suit Recommendation

Post by Paperman »

This is a purely personal post - Monoposto Racing Club does not endorse specific products - but I wanted to tell people about my experience of buying a new FIA suit at the Autosport Show.

I've had my current suit, made by AWS, for about 7 years. I bought it in the paddock at Lydden after my car had caught fire in practice and burnt away the back of my previous suit. Fortunately a guy from AWS was there and he sold me a suitable suit which is now out of spec after giving years of excellent service. However I'd never heard of AWS before I bought the suit off them at Lydden and have never thought much about who AWS are.

At the Show this week I took a look at the various offerings from OMP, Sparco etc, but then discovered AWS had a stand, so went to talk to them. They aren't as well known as some of the big names in imported suits, so are easy to overlook. It turns out that AWS makes their suits in the UK (unlike most if not all of the competitors) and this means they can tailor them to fit or do a complete made-to-measure job. This is great for me because I have short legs (OK...and I'm fat...) and I look like a deflated Michelin man in a "standard" fit suit. The guys at AWS were very helpful, and fitted me up with a good quality off-the-peg suit, custom tailored for me, at the same price as the cheapest "standard" competitive offering I saw during the day.

So if you need a new FIA spec suit, especially if you are a non-standard size, I do recommend you take a look at AWS, website on http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk

And please note - I don't have any relationship with AWS, other than as a satisfied customer.

Simon Davey