Formula Vee to run in Mono 1600

General Paddock Chatter
TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Formula Vee to run in Mono 1600

Post by TFR »

I was talking in the paddock at Snetterton to the driver of a Formula Vee ,who said it was a pity that the car could not be run in Mono, I immediately thought "why not".There are apparently 100 Formula Vee,s out there.I cant see any reason why they should not run in Mono 1600,where we already accept Formula Renault,and FVJ,s,they would hardly pose a threat to the status quo except in very capeable hands, and it immediately opens an extra source of revenue to the club,which in these times is of paramount importance.I am sure it only needs approval by the committee, and the same from the MSA.,if it was done right now we would have at least one more entry for Anglesey.This is very grass roots motorsport ,we must give it serious consideration. I have mentioned it to some committee members who seem to concur with these views. I have posted this on the forum to get the ball rolling and get some support, maybe I should be talking to Simon(hope you read this) ,I am not sure of the next step. I am sure there are many Vee,s in 750 at the moment who would appreciate an alternative.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77, (driving anything in any class)
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Re: Formula Vee to run in Mono 1600

Post by samier »

A point to remember about these formula vee cars. They do have a solid beam running across the front of the car, so if one was involved in a smash, that solid beam would prove a bit on the dangerous side I think. There were some discussions about this on ten-tenths a while back.

phill anderson
Marshal
Marshal

Post by phill anderson »

I would not be worried about the front beam on a Vee, this presents no more threat than a roll hoop, chassis member or gearbox.
You could be worried about a car with less horsepower, skinny tyres and drum brakes lapping Snetterton in the 1:19 s
There are an awful lot of Vees around. First round of the season at Snett 32 cars entered, last round at Brands 2008 50 cars entered. This is a real chance to swell the Mono grids with some high quality club racers.

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AndyY »

& presumably they could run on slicks?
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Post by samier »

What has happend to Formula Vee? Have they increased entry costs?

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

The more cars you have, the more power you have as a club to negotiate. If you had a lot of F. Vee members, then you could possibly run a 3rd grid, and tempt more bike engined cars over.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Dave »

The Formula Vee in question at Snetterton is the daughter of a current Monoposto member whose name I unfortunately cannot remember.
He spoke to me about his daughter entering the 1600 class. I advised that I was not aware of any reason why the FVs should not be admitted but that he should ideally e-mail David Cox, listing the car details, from which i'm sure David can determine the position and get a vote on it if necessary. So hopefully this question will soon be answered.
He did tell me that she, his daughter, normally finishes in the top half dozen of the FV races. Also that she was lapping in the 1.19s on Friday. If this was anywhere near consistent it would have been enough to win the class on the race days.
Maybe, in Jeff and Ewans absence, we need something like this to shake us up.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

It would be Jenny Anderson. Geoff rented the Jedi that Phill and Ben Anderson raced last year in Mono with success.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Dave »

Yes. It was. I remember the name now.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

Vee's have run in mono 1600 during the past. I remember racing at Oulton in 1999 ish and we had a Vee. Dont see why they cant run in 1600's. Lets face it some of the 1600's dont lap under 1 min 20! When i was a boy racing in 1998 I was lapping in the low 16's! Vees would be a welcome addition to the ranks.......even if they are ugly.
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Dave »

We might not be as quick as some of the previous competitors but there's no need to call us ugly. Although to be honest you're possibly right.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

Pigpen
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Pigpen »

The only problem I have encountered with formula Vee has been the drivers. On numerous occassions, testing sessions have been stopped because of comedy V drivers crashing into each other whilst racing. Their races seemed to be rather more accident packed as well. One can only assume that with their cars being "bomb proof" and not overly expensive they were less concerned about damage. Oh, and they were all Irish. so they were.

TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Post by TFR »

So where are we now? Does the fact that Formula Vee,s have run in Mono 1600 in 1999 set the precedent for their elegibility,it would seem the rules have not changed since then so theoretically they could enter. It would be a good idea to get the view of someone who "Hasbeen" involved with the club for a few years and could give some guidance, there do not seem to be many serious objections. I think if I owned one I would just enter and race, but I do think we should give a biy of encouragement to anyone contemplating joining us, word would soon get around if one raced with us.
GF
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

J Chapman
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by J Chapman »

I'd just like to indicate my support to allow FVees to race in Mono 1600. As you all know I'm new to Mono Club and I've been really impressed by the frendly/helpfull/relaxed atmosphere.

As we all know grid numbers are the key to club motorsport so we need do all we can to attract new members.

Looking at the lap times of the FVees at Snetterton last year they do seem alarmingly quick at first glance but there is a big spread of times 1:18 to 1:33. But the Vee's are very narrow and the engines are quite highly tuned and the tyres are narrow so it might be a question of straight line speed. If you compare their lap times from tighter circuits Mallory (50sec) and Cadwell (1:43) they actually seem at least a second a lap slower than a Mono 1600.

I think this diversity within the class would add an interesting element and I would support their entry.
James Chapman
Car #78
Mono 1800

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

J Chapman wrote:I think this diversity within the class would add an interesting element and I would support their entry.
Although not a 1600 runner (nor anything else at the moment!) I concur. I have always felt Mono provided a club structure supporive of the 'run what you brung' approach and particularly in the current climate we should turn no-one away.
Schomosport