Hi and First Question (first of many I guess...)

General Paddock Chatter
Mark Greenwood
Marshal
Marshal

Hi and First Question (first of many I guess...)

Post by Mark Greenwood »

Hi,

Been lurking on the forums for a while now so though I would say hi,

I bought an old Mk 4 Jedi chassis on ebay a while back and I've had an older R1 engine in my dads shed so what better to do than put them together over the next year and try and build my own single seater race car! At least that's the plan anyway...

So my first question is about ROPS. I have read a few articles on this subject now and I am assuming that if my chassis has the original roll hoop it is not up to code (please correct me if I'm wrong). Do I have to get this replaced before I can even think about going racing?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Eddie Guest
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Hi and First Question (first of many I guess...)

Post by Eddie Guest »

Hi Mark, sorry for the slow reply but I have asked Jon Reed to respond more fully as he has considerable experience of running Jedi. He is away until the end of the week but has said he will reply on his return

Eddie (Monoposto Racing Club Chairman)

Mark Greenwood
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Mark Greenwood »

No Problem Eddie, thanks for the reply, I look forward to hearing from Jon.

Wingnut
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Wingnut »

Hello - Jon Reed here.

So - congrats on getting the best car. You're already a winner in my eyes.

Yes - you will need the right rollbar before you can take it racing and you could be disqualified in the paddock with no entry fee return if you don't..

There are two options - Jedi racing do a factory fitted and very good quality solution which comes with a certificate and fits the existing bodywork. You can also weld on your own rollbar as long as it is the right diameter. I don't know that diameter without looking at the log book. By reading the blue book it will tell you what you need to do to comply (diameter, height and the diagonal supports needed) and there will be no more questions asked. However a word of advice - get it done by an expert - you can have the worlds best roll hoop, but if it detaches from the car in a crash it won't help you at all.

You say you want to put an engine you have in the car in the chassis. There could be a problem here. The differential chainwheel and therefore the diff mounts (two vertical tubes that hold the diff) were positioned to align with the engine in the centre of the car and the chain line up. I don't know what engine was in the car before but if you have to move the diff your driveshafts won't be the right size. Do you know what engine it had originally?

There are a host of other questions.... If you wanted to chat on the phone sometimes I'd be happy to spend half an hour on a call as long as you promise to not beat me in the future.

Jon
Jonathan Reed - Yellow Jedi no. 88
Wingnut Racing Website - http://www.wingnutracing.biz
Formula Jedi spec Jedi Mk6 Suzuki GSXR1000 K5/6 in yellow
Car Preparation, Racing Car Vinyl Wrapping, Secure Storage

Mark Greenwood
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Mark Greenwood »

Hi Jon, good to hear from you.

I have to say the more I find out about the Jedi's the more impressed I am by them.

Don't worry, safety is definitely something I won't be taking any short cuts on. Keen to get the Jedi factory option to keep things simple. Any idea how much this is likely to set me back?

According to the guy I bought it off the chassis was configured for an R1 engine which is another reason I went for it. As far as I can tell Jedi's come in either R1 of GSXR 1000 flavours if you ignore the older 600's, is that right? Not too sure how much of a difference the year of the engine makes though? There is an old Jedi rebuild thread on piston heads, they put a 2001 R1 engine into their chassis, looking at their photos and my chassis it looks the same, as do the mounting points on my 98 R1 engine so hopefully I can get this all to marry up...

Thanks for the offer and ill take you up on that! I don't think ill be much threat to anyone if and when I do get on track :P I am away for the next few weeks but will drop you a message when I am back if that's ok?

Wingnut
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Wingnut »

So, the engines mounting points do move with each series of engine. I am not an expert on the Yamaha stuff but the Suzukis were changed every 2 years, so a K5/6 was the engines used in 2005 and 2006 and were the same. The K7/K8 engines needed the top mounts moving but this could be done with plates.

If you call John or Fraser Corbyn at Jedi They will probably know all about the history of your car, the engine it had and can quote you for a rollbar etc. As the car is in bits I’m sure they will have to do minimal work and it will be not so expensive.

I have seen cars with engines from 600’s to 900 Fireblades, to GSXR1100 to Hayabusa to GSXR1000’s so frankly what you have is anyone’s guess.

Ive direct messaged (DM’ed) you my number.

Jon

Wingnut
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Wingnut »

I cant DM you - this site has scripting incompatibilities with web browsers. Keeps giving me an error. I don’t want to post my number as quite a lot of the drivers wives and girlfriends start texting me messages as I’m quite a big thing in the paddock - second only to Ewen Sergison of course.

My email is slightlystupid at hotmail dot com.

Jon