Silverstone format change

General Paddock Chatter
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

Silverstone format change

Post by andrewcliffe »

There is a format change to Silverstone National which is mentioned on the event page on the main Mono site and the Facebook feed. I thought mentioning it here would also give people advance warning as I know some are guilty of not reading all the final instructions and supplementary regulations.

Saturday:

will run to normal routine. 15m quali, 15m race, two grids.

Sunday:

will be run slightly differently...

There will be a single qualifying session of 20 minutes length, all classes combined - F3, 2000, Classic, 1800, 1600, Moto 1400, Moto 1000.

Races will be two grids as usual, but 20 minutes length.

Qualifying will be best described as "busy" with 40+ cars on a sub-1 minute lap, watch mirrors, and please don't take any stupid risks trying to clear slower cars whilst on a hot lap.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Silverstone format change

Post by omsracer »

This isn't the format we signed up for neither is it totally advisable to merge the grids together on a small circuit with as stated a less than 1 minute lap time. I do not see any advantage to us as competitors in increasing the the track time when that increased time will be more congested with the slower guys constantly looking in their mirrors and the faster guys frustrated by having to weave their way through us all.

Comparisons to Spa and Silverstone GP are irrelevant as these circuits allow the field to be much more spread out. Once again the competitors seem to be the last people consulted, talk about 'moving the goal posts'.

Not a happy camper.
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

scorchio
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scorchio »

Totally agree with Omsracer..

I think the racers should have been asked..

Totally pointless waste of time..

Another unhappy camper

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

For the record, I'm not in favour either.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Post by TFR »

Who thought this one up ? There is no comparison between a 1 min lap at silverstone national and 2.5 min laps at Spa and Silv GP.
Quali is always worse than the race for speed differentials, in the race we start roughly in speed order, not so qualifying, this is a good recipe for an accident. I have a guy doing his first single seater race at the weekend, i hope he doesnt get collected by an F3 car through Copse.
My guess is this is a tracktime saving excercise, and if so there are much better ways to do it, We will not appease disgruntled competitors by extending the race by 5 mins, or the dangerous quali set up, most races are settled after 15 mins, all we achieve after this is a few mechanical dnf,s and general wear and tear on racecars and tyres, not good for the low budget club racer.
We could save tracktime by scrapping quali altogether on Sunday and use fist two times from saturday, Sunday only racers start from the back. At the very least the club should be upfront, tell the members we are losing money and that we need to make some savings, we can then carry them with us, trying to suggest otherwise is to insult their intelligence or to propagate a conspiracy theory.there are other options but this is not a good one!
GF
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

paolo42mk
Marshal
Marshal

Post by paolo42mk »

It seems that common sense has fallen by the way side. Does it take a serious accident to illustrate the risks associated with this kind of idea...? The closing speed of a Dallara on a 1600 is alarming regardless of which car you're in.

For the record, decisions like this and those around class structure are the reason I'm not racing in Monoposto at the moment.

omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Post by omsracer »

Difficult as the new format was arranged the day after the entry fee was taken from the bank account
Synical or what!
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

50+ cars on the GP circuit is crowded enough especially when it is raining. The pro-rata cars per mile distance is going to be considerably less on the National. Good luck all.....not really bothered that I won't be there.
Schomosport