CARTEK Flashing Rain Lights

General Paddock Chatter
ofarc
Flag waver
Flag waver

Re: CARTEK Flashing Rain Lights

Post by ofarc »

Hi everyone. As many of you know I have been a keen user of Cartek products including their rain lights. Just to clarify things, Cartek produce 3 different types of rain lights:
CK-LR-15 This is a 'standard', red LED, non-flashing rain light which is fully homologated by the FIA and appears on FIA Technical List 19.
CK-LR-DC This is a dual-coloured rain light with an integrated flashing amber element and was designed specifically for the V8 Supercar championship in Australia.
CK-LR-F3 This is the same as the CK-LR-15, i.e. red LED and FIA homologated but with integrated 4Hz flashing electronics. It is this light which is compatible with F3 Cup and Monoposto regs.
All of the above information is available on their website: http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/rainlights.html

However, there has been a recent development with the CK-LR-F3 rain light and it now incorporates two flashing patterns and is supplied with a 3 position toggle switch. What this means is that with this light the driver can select any one of three modes: OFF - dry race, 4Hz FLASHING - wet race and a quick flick of the switch to the 3rd mode makes the light behave like a hazard warning lamp similar to what you might see on an emergency vehicle. The idea behind this is to indicate to other drivers if you have stalled on the grid or perhaps driving slowly with a problem to reduce the risk of an expensive rear end shunt. Apparently this new light, with switch, retails for £109 but Mono competitors are entitled to a 20% which easily makes it the cheapest flashing rain light available and arguably the best.

Cheers
St. Cross Electronics - Quality Cable Assemblies for the motorsport industry and beyond.
www.motorsportcables.com
www.st-cross-electronics.co.uk

schuey57
Marshal
Marshal

Post by schuey57 »

I'm sold on the new cartek one aslong as other organising clubs (hscc,barc,brscc) accept a flashing light as apposed a stationary one.

Can anyone confirm this

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

Anson wrote: The Melectronics – F3-2009 appears to be a bright LED but not with a separate flashing function? Or is this a permanently flashing light with no static light function?
This is what we have on our F3 Cup cars. It just has a flashing mode. This model is the wide but short type usually seen on the later Dallaras to fit in the neat carbon fibre housing. They do a different version which would be more suitable for the narrower but taller housing on the Dallara F398 for example (the Cartek fits nicely into this). Of course there are other ways of mounting things...
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Anson
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Anson »

ofarc wrote:Hi everyone. As many of you know I have been a keen user of Cartek products including their rain lights. Just to clarify things, Cartek produce 3 different types of rain lights:
CK-LR-15 This is a 'standard', red LED, non-flashing rain light which is fully homologated by the FIA and appears on FIA Technical List 19.
CK-LR-DC This is a dual-coloured rain light with an integrated flashing amber element and was designed specifically for the V8 Supercar championship in Australia.
CK-LR-F3 This is the same as the CK-LR-15, i.e. red LED and FIA homologated but with integrated 4Hz flashing electronics. It is this light which is compatible with F3 Cup and Monoposto regs.
All of the above information is available on their website: http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/rainlights.html

However, there has been a recent development with the CK-LR-F3 rain light and it now incorporates two flashing patterns and is supplied with a 3 position toggle switch. What this means is that with this light the driver can select any one of three modes: OFF - dry race, 4Hz FLASHING - wet race and a quick flick of the switch to the 3rd mode makes the light behave like a hazard warning lamp similar to what you might see on an emergency vehicle. The idea behind this is to indicate to other drivers if you have stalled on the grid or perhaps driving slowly with a problem to reduce the risk of an expensive rear end shunt. Apparently this new light, with switch, retails for £109 but Mono competitors are entitled to a 20% which easily makes it the cheapest flashing rain light available and arguably the best.

Cheers
My apologies Dax - I didn't read the detail properly and pick up on the various different models - I agree it will do the job admirably and is also nice and compact!
Peter Venn

ofarc
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by ofarc »

Apology not needed Mr Venn. See you soon
St. Cross Electronics - Quality Cable Assemblies for the motorsport industry and beyond.
www.motorsportcables.com
www.st-cross-electronics.co.uk

nacnac
Marshal
Marshal

Post by nacnac »

Could somebody please confirm if a FIA approved light + flashing is the standard required or are we currently restricted to only the three options? Relays etc have been suggested and Cartek sell the following (from link earlier in the thread):

"ELECTRONIC RAIN LIGHT SWITCH
Compatible with any FiA LED rain light. Provides 3 operating modes ON, OFF & Hazard Warning Flashing"

After discussions of rain lights etc I changed to an FIA approved light last year so if I can comply with regs by making it flash I would prefer this option.

Nathan

Terry
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Terry »

Nathan,

You must use one of the three specified flashing red rain lights or you can use, form the same three manufacturers and the same range, a fixed light with a flashing switch or the fixed/flashing light option.

The light must be used in red flashing mode during Monoposto events. The only reason the fixed feature was allowed is that some other series may not want flashing lights and if you use your car anywhere else and it was accepted that you will not want to have to change the light.

In the final regulations a flash rate will be specified. This will definitely cover a 3Hz to 4Hz range and may be a bit wider than this.