Has anyone ever removed one of these from a Dallara tub?

General Paddock Chatter
schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Has anyone ever removed one of these from a Dallara tub?

Post by schomosport »

[img]Stud sheared off in mounting bush in back of Dallara tub. According to the parts manual the bush unscrews from the tub - has anyone ever removed one?

Obviously much easier to drill the broken stud out having removed the bush.

The stud on the otherside was loctited in and only came out without shearing only by luck so I am not keen on prospects of knocking this broken one out with a hammer and punch or drilling it out in situ. Not super keen on exploring how easy the bush comes out with a pipe wrench either..........

Suppose I could drill a couple of holes and make up a peg spanner? Or weld a bar to it?

Aaaaarrrrghhhh.................any other suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schomosport

coolio
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Has anyone ever removed one of these from a Dallara tub?

Post by coolio »

Have you tried the internal stud removers?
Kevin

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

Coolio - Problem with stud removers is they don't take a lot of torque and if you break one then you have a hardened centre to your broken stud which you can't drill out.

PM - have you got any scrap tubs I could come and have a practice on? Come to think of it your XE would probably do since no one seems to want to buy it..........
Schomosport

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Post by Nick Harrison »

'Or weld a bar to it?' You have answered it yourself.

coolio
Marshal
Marshal

Post by coolio »

I know they can be brittle, but if you drill the stud first, then soak with WD40 and allow to soak, provided the stud is not tight up against the bottom of the hole, with a little patience she will come out. If thread lock was used, may need something to soften it.
Kevin

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

I imagine Kevin mason removed some at spa a couple of years ago
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

For those who may yet encounter similar misfortune here is how I finally removed the broken stud. I had some drill bushes made up so that they sat over the bush in the back of the tub and held them in place with a clamp plate and some spacers - there are a few useful threaded holes in the backof the tub intended for other things..... Clamping the guide in place meant I could get both hands on a hand drill and put some decent pressure on to it - the studs are quite hard.

Owing to one or two errors in my drawing office (ha ha) and at the machine shop, the original plan of one bush to drill a 1/8" pilot hole followed by a second bush to enlarge thehole out to 6.8 (M8 tapping size) turned into three bushes - 1/4", 6.8mm and 12mm. As luck would have it, using the 12mm to give a good centre and following it with the 1/4", most of the remains of the thread from the stud collapsed under the work of the drill. There was no need to use the 6.8 (which posed the biggest risk to damaging the original thread in the bush), I just needed to run an M8 tap down the first couple of turns of thread after which an M8 bolt screwed straight in by hand. I have since switched to M8 high tensile socket head screws for all of the M8 fasteners. If you buy the correct length of screw it has a short unthreaded section whichis at least as good a fit in the engine mounting beams as the original Dallara studs. 12.8 grade cap screws are not however amenable to being drilled out so better not do it again!

Thanks to everyone who responded with their suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schomosport