New Guy and REGS ?

General Paddock Chatter
karl
Flag waver
Flag waver

New Guy and REGS ?

Post by karl »

Firstly just a quick hello, my name is karl from northants.

I used to be a biker boy. Then I got a bike engineed west field. That was an eye opener, Now I am building a Jedi and this whole mono posto set up is new to me.

I understand that the bike powered single seaters were put in a class and were to fast so a 1200 class was formed?

Now there is/ may be a 1000 class to be formed and possibley a 1400 class for cars?

I enclose an e-mail reply

Dear Karl> Yes your Jedi is elligible. It will run in either, the new Mono 1000 class> (former Mono 1200) with a 1000cc engine and minimum weight of 400Kgs with> driver OR in the new Mono1400 class with maximum engine size 1400cc and> minimum weight yet to be confirmed but either 450 or 460 Kgs.> If you have registered on the forum, I am sure it will be confirmedshortly.> Best wishes

This concerns me .

I bought an older car after discussion with a view to building it up to date to run in the correct factory championship. All the Chassis mods have been completed to comply with the factory regs and it's all starting to add up. The factory runs two different age catagories of cars.

My car is not built yet it and will not be able to win the factory championship at the highest level because it runs in the older engine series.

To keep up to date seems to be very expensive. My car is staring to add up to the cost of buying a run in more competative car that could actually win the factory championship. The guys at the factory have been help full and understanding, There were a few un expected additional expenses, but my car should be like new when re-built

I was advised to look at mono by the chap who sold me my original chassis

The way it looks my car will not be built and it is already non competetive even for mono posto, How can a class be formed for 1000cc engines to compete with 1400cc? The difference between the yammaha r1 or 1000 gsxr's on the same age is minor 03-05 engines of the same cc will have 20bhp difference and more torque, the difference between any 1000cc and the hyabusa is massive. The hybusa is a power house. according to the factory that make the chassis for handling the chassis is on its limit with tuned 1000cc engines so is the busa car even safe? Fine for high climb cars and short sprints but flat out max revs on circuits? I dont know. I think bike racing was much more straight forward.

The 1000 class seems about right 1000cc 400kg with driver as this is what these cars are designed for. To make a car heavier designed to be light defeats its purpose.That's what vans are built for. Even if the big b.e.c cc cars are made to weigh more and the 1000cc cars are put in the same class as a lighter weight, to make it even the the extra weight difference would have to be about 200kg.

I was under the impression that mono was to cater for non factory championship drivers!

I only ask because I need to know what I'm doing because it will effect the final build/cost of the car. If I have to use all factory manufactured specific components for the factory championship regulations or cheaper universal fia approved ones i.e. catch tanks and swirl pots, for mono. Which would bring the build cost more realistic for building a car with out the latest spec every thing.

I will not compete in mono if the cars I'm up against in the same class have so much extra advantage! The factory champion ship may be a bit more expensive but the cars are more evenly matched than an all bike engines in one class up to 1400cc.

May be I've got my wires crossed, or do I need to tell the painters not to paint my chassis and sell my 2 engines so I can pay the work shop to put a hyabusa engine in the car.

Sorry to start off negative I 've heard you are a friendly bunch.

I also have some of the jedi mk4 part available look on the sales page

01536 723312 07528 790272

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

Re: New Guy and REGS ?

Post by tristancliffe »

Hi Karl, I'll try and help a bit if I can, but I'm a two litre bloke myself so I might be a bit out of touch.

The 1200 class was formed to accomodate bike engined cars, and these are mainly Speads/JKS or Jedi cars with a variety of engines. I'm not sure of the exact reasons of change to the 1000 and 1400 classes, but one was because the fastest cars were less than 1000cc and because the weight limit was too low to allow the larger bike engines in.

The 1000cc and 1400cc classes will not be directly competing against each other - they are separate classes, with separate points awards and a separate result. It doesn't, therefore, matter if one of the other proves to be quicker than the other, although as they'll race on the same grid there is likely to be overlap - this is a good thing, as it means more people to race against, even if you aren't actually scoring points against them. Less boring 'out on your own' races :)

If you fit a <1000cc engine and meet the weight limits of that class then you will probably go in the 1000cc category. If you are too heavy or have too many CCs (or you just want a bigger challenge competing with less power at the same weight) then you would go in the 1400 class. I believer there are a number of engines between 1000cc and 1400cc that people would like to race, but didn't want the massive weight disadvantage of racing against the 600cc guys (and gals).

It's highly unlikely you'll build a bike engined single seater than Mono cannot cater for, especially if you're starting off with a Jedi chassis and plan on using something like an R1 engine. If you happen to be racing a 1400cc car on the track, rather than merely watching the championship contenders disappear into the distance, then surely that's a good thing?

Perhaps you've misunderstood the class system Monoposto employs?

Hopefully we'll see you on a Mono grid soon enough!

Regards,
Tristan
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

karl
Flag waver
Flag waver

Re: New Guy and REGS ?

Post by karl »

Thanks for the swift replys gentlemen,

That is /was what I was hoping for.

My car will be 1000cc and should/will come in at 400 kg all in, as is the spec it is designed for. even if I have go on a hunger strike before weigh in.

The way it was put to me - that my car might be in mono 1000 or mono 1400, this was worrying. the 1400 option is not an option. It just needed some clarity.

It sounded like the classes had not been decided yet and my car might fall into one or the other and one class/ formula might be dropped in favour of the other.

I understand that different classes run at the same time, and I dont mind that, if you are slow or fast you have people to chase, it sounds good. A good driver will catch slower drivers in faster cars and classes.

Obviously if there are awards/cups and or points the class that one is designated, the cars need to be similar.

I made the comments because if a 1000cc car was in with a 1400cc car,- if this was the only bike engine car class- the difference would be embarressing. If the 1000cc class exists this is not a problem.

The difference between an 99-03 r1 and a busa will almost be like a cbr 600 and an r1. So any one thats had a ex 600 jedi and now runs a thousand or has owned bikes will undestand.

If feel sorry for any one who is going in the 1400cc class because the car weight is over 450kg With a smaller cc engine against the likes of the mighty busa. May be the classes should focus on engine size/age rather than weight?

Not for me to say I'm happy with the 1000 class.

Thanks for your help,

karl