HANS devices (aka FHRs) to become mandatory next year

General Paddock Chatter
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

HANS devices (aka FHRs) to become mandatory next year

Post by andrewcliffe »

According to the MSA magazine (page 14), it says:

"Frontal Head Restraints will become a mandatory piece of safety equipment for drivers of post-2000 single seaters next year, and all circuit racers (except historic) from 2016 following a ruling from the Motor Sports Council."

So, if you drive a car from year 2000 to date, you'd better look out for a deal on one for next season...
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Re: HANS devices (aka FHRs) to become mandatory next year

Post by tristancliffe »

I wouldn't race without one.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Anson
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Anson »

I would not dream of racing without wearing a HANS device. I have 2 of them - the 20 degree and 30 degree versions for single seater and touring car. They have been a requirement at the Nürburgring for almost a decade and it has saved me from probable injury at least twice at the 'Ring. To me it is simple common sense to use one.

It is precisely because there are people who wouldn't even wear seatbelts were it not legally enforced that they bring in rules to enforce the use of safety equipment. The HANS costs less than a race entry or about a fifth of the cost of a new Dallara sump...

And yes, it is a pain to have to keep buying new belts but they last 5 seasons and cost less than an entry fee. Just accept it and move on.
Peter Venn

teamfoxracing
Marshal
Marshal

Post by teamfoxracing »

Seat belts every 5 years works out at £20 per year
After 5 years why would you not want to change them
They will be "tatty, dirty , scabby " by then anyway

Paolo why do you where a crash helmet when you out on
Your "Nancy boy " mountain bike ?

Now someone buy a nas bolt off him so he can afford a HANS device and if you buy the knut
He can buy new seat belts

Thanks Andrew for posting
Dan fox

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

How many people in Mono will this affect - who has a yr2000+ car and doesn't have a HANS device?

If there is a significant number, maybe a group purchase could be made ?

Of course, you may need to buy a new helmet with HANS posts, or possibly a helmet manufacturer will fit and certify HANS posts to an existing helmet.

How long before they decide to life the HANS device or at least the straps?
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

stevenconnor
Recovery
Recovery

Post by stevenconnor »

Irrespective of if you support the wearing of the HANS device, this MSA rue is a right 'buggers muddle'

When is a car a post 2000 car?.... might sound simple but we help out on a pair of Van Diemen FF1600's. One is a 99 and one is a 2004. The look so similar but the 99 looks the newer car due to a complete rebuild and brand new, latest spec bodywork... thus the officials only know the age of the car by the disclosure of the owner. Then you have self built cars which have a date assigned by the owner/builder.. Or newly built cars which are actually based on earlier cars, and of course the 'Triggers broom' concept of a car that is made up of parts much newer than the original design date of the car. Then if they do the same with 'tin tops' you have those that could be from a model that was manufactured across the 2000 'divide' so the owner could claim it is one of the early ones.

So are scrutineers going to be trying to verify the age of a car if the driver doesn't present with a HANS device?

If they are going to mandate 100% for 2016 (which is at least 100% clear) then they shouldn't have this half thought out interim year.

TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Post by TFR »

I would quote Professor Sid Watkins "the Hans Device is the greatest increase to driver safety in the last 30 years"

and another quote from our own Dr Steve Griffin "a Hans Device is cheaper than a wheel chair and if you buy the

former you will not need the latter" that convinced me and served me well in a head on shunt from 100+mph to zero

in 1 metre at Mallory Park, if you dont have one go out and buy one,it doesnt matter how strong you think your neck is

you can not defy the laws of physics,your shoulders are held by the harness but your head will maintain your velocity

untill arrested by your neck, we dont need a mono guy in a wheelchair

Geoff
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

Peter - you mention the 20 & 30 degree ones, do you find 30 degrees the "right" angle for both the Anson and the Dallara? ie the 40 degree isn't required?
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

The 40 degree one is for very very reclined cockpits. F3's only need 30°. I think FFords are going to be 30° as well.

Schroth make a £400 30 degree version.
HANS make a £290 20 degree version, and also an adjustable 10-40 degree version for £511 (Demon Tweeks prices).
Or you can spent >£800 on lighter carbon versions.

All seem to come with the sliding tethers, which means you can barely tell you're wearing on even whilst doing 5 point turns in the paddock belted up.
You might need to change your belts if the shoulder strap adjusters don't sit on the HANS device.
Some cars might need the mounting points moving to fall within the requirements, although I'd be surprised if many single seaters have them so far apart that they can't be used. My old Reynard 883 was used with my HANS device and off the shelf Willans' 3" belts.
You will need tether mounts (posts) on your lid. Some (but not many) can be retrofitted, but even the budget helmets available at the moment are either fitted with those posts, or are pre-drilled for fitting posts. Arai posts, for example, are £40.

So it's a bit inconvenient if you don't already have one, and there is some expense if you've got to buy new belts or helmets to suit. But it's definitely worth it. But for most people it'll just be a case of buying a device and wearing it.

If they do life the tethers, replacements seem to be about £50.
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Russ
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Russ »

I had better get saving up
That is about £1200 for me, HANS / Helmet / Belts

I will have to get the sponsor to get it for me............

Oh...............

I forgot.................

I haven't got one

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

Russ, unless you've got a new car coming out, technically you should be OK until 2016 as the 2015 ruling is for cars built from 1/1/2000 onwards. A 398 has a years grace, so buying the HANS device can be postponed.

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

Tried very hard to make a HANS device work in the Ralt but it would have needed too many modifications to the head rest / bulkhead area so I gave up...........

They are not going to work for everyone in every car - any other 6 footers out there wearing one in a Dallara?

Oh and where's the rationale for an excemption for historic cars - obviously those wimpy old mega-litre things they run at Goodwood Festival every year are too slow to hurt anyone I suppose............

Looking forward to the retrospective fitting of full cockpit protection which will probably come next.......
Schomosport

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

Anyone tried those newer HANS devices that fit on a sort of vest thingy? I see pictures of NASCAR drivers wearing them. I like the idea, they seems to make mechanical sense.
At least we have had some progress with scrutineers now, I have had my HANS device for many years and to start with it failed scrutineering because the person(s) concerned didn't understand how they worked and insisted that the straps should be tight all the time. Anyone who has actually worn one will understand it would be very difficult to wear like that. I eventually gave up trying to explain to the bearded ones how a HANS device works and just stopped presenting mine at scrutineering.
I think they have worked it out now.
Jane and I are working at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this coming weekend, she in the pit lane and me in the medical centre. We have been issued with something new to us namely insulating gloves. Apparently it is easy to be electrocuted by a stationary F1 car.
So if you see either of us go up in smoke this weekend you will know we didn't wear our protective clothing :shock:

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I've come across the thick rubber gloves in Formula E. I guess you'll be trained up, but don't touch the car without the gloves if the warning lights on the car are still red. Drivers are advised to leap from the car rather than step, so they can't form a route to ground.

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

Its all about choice, the pro's probably outweigh the con's for wearing an FHR , Some of you still smoke, that can kill you but its your choice.

Yes Mark i have the same problem i don't see how i can wear one in my Ralt.Looks like the days of the Ralt are finished

I don't often agree with Kevan, but the seat belt rule is a nonsense, If you have a serious accident during the 5 years you don't have to replace, but you have to even if the have'nt been. The scrutineers should cut belts up if that have has been a serious accident, belts should be inspected for condition as they get older and again scrutineers should advise replacement regardless of age