HANS devices (aka FHRs) to become mandatory next year

General Paddock Chatter
Emma Cliffe
Flag waver
Flag waver

Re: HANS devices (aka FHRs) to become mandatory next year

Post by Emma Cliffe »

Speaking as someone who cares about people out on the circuit, wear and use as much protective kit as you can - your wives, partners, parents and children will be more comfortable with you racing.

You can't put a price on protecting your life or health. And working in the field, the cost of caring for someone who had suffered an injury of the type we're talking about experiencing is huge, when it may well be for 30+ years in some cases. And remember, not everyone is luck enough to survive an accident.

You have a responsibility to the people who care about you, even if you don't want to be responsible for yourself. I'm probably hypersensitive at the moment due to a recent bereavement, but frankly, look after yourselves as best you can afford to.

Russ, I'm sure Dianne would forego something to improve the chances of you returning safely from a drive round a circuit. I know I would if it was Andrew
Former Hanger on & gaffer tape applier - Mono2000 - Dallara F398.
Mrs Monoposto Photographer.
Mrs "have you bought the biscuits?" Char lady

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

We await what the definition of 'historic' is by the MSA and whether the post 1/1/2000 date ruling will apply from 2016.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Russ
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Russ »

I get the safety bit.
Anyway, we are in a risk averse society where arse covering is a profession for many. We have to just live with it.
It's the thieving barstewards that can easily knock out a 'Clubman' spec 20deg HANS for £250 but a 30deg one is £400+
Of course, all single seater drivers are so rich it makes no difference to us

TIGAMAN

Post by TIGAMAN »

I have just ordered my helmet and HANS device for next season from GRAND PRIX RACEWEAR, they have a sale on with 15% off.
Only racesuit,underwear,boots,gloves,seatbets and transponder to get!

Happy days.

Mark Drew.

Cscott
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Cscott »

I see the benefits...always have, I have a couple of questions regarding the practicalities of this for next year that I just can't find an answer to....well not easily and I am still young enough to be impatient :wink:

1) Me and Dad share a Speads, I am 99% certain that a 30deg will be needed, the driving position is similar to Dallara so is that the angle most use?

2) We both have SA2005 helmets that are pre drilled but NOT pre-threaded. Any idea if/who/how we can get HANS posts retro fitted?....I know the posts can be bought but I understand that is just to fit to pre threaded helmets.

Cheers
Chris

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

First port of call regarding the helmet query should be the helmet manufacturers.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Cscott
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Cscott »

Yes, agree....however Bell's own site, and that of the MSA is less than informative.

I have done a bit more reading and found that Demon Tweeks sell a set that can be retro fitted as long as the helmet does not require drilling...which mine does not.

Also the FIA document only recommends factory fitting and says that if not they must be fitted in accordance with guidlines and with threadlock.

All in all a veritable mine field.

Ah well, keeps me busy on a wet and windy winter night.

teamfoxracing
Marshal
Marshal

Post by teamfoxracing »

If the helmet is pre drilled fit them your self
It's very easy

I think Grand Prix racewear will fit them for free
If you buy the post from them
Dan fox

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

As above. If the helmet has the pre drilled holes all you need to do is slide a thin spanner up inside the lining with a nut in place and screw the post on to it. I watched a bloke from Bell doing it in the paddock of the Nurburgring and realized it was a simple task that even I could do. It must be easy because I managed it with little effort and even less mechanical skill.

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by triple j motorsport »

My Bell lid is a couple of years old now was pre drilled for hans clips, I have bought some and Iam going to fit themself my assume the helmet isn't threaded? Just a hole and washer nut thread lock job? No idead how to remove the lining either.

Helmet is like new and not been damaged in any way so don't want to spend £££'s on a new one having just purchased said hans clips and a Stand 21 30 deg hans device.

BTW I purchaesd hans device from Willans at Silverstone at a very good price as they are stopping selling them I believe they only have 1 30 deg left now a large (17" or larger collar i think) I had the last medium.

Cscott
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Cscott »

So.....just fitted HANS posts to my lid, easy and done in less than 10 mins....

Being a panic merchent I thought I would do some more research and unless the MSA print some clear guidlines this may be a minefield this coming season. Mono site says you must have certificate/sticker to say posts are fitted but I just can't find anywhere that this is written.

MSA rule amendments seem to contain nothing of the sort and the current FIA regulations (theres a read!!!) state the following:

"5.2 The position of the helmet-tether-anchorages shall comply with FIA 8858-2002. It is strongly
recommended to use helmets with helmet-tether-anchorage inserts fitted by the manufacturer
as original equipment: these are identified by a glossy silver holographic FIA label as illustrated in
figure 9."

The term 'strongly recommended' would hint at not compulsary. Plus they are so simple to fit I would think it daylight robbery to have to pay someone....I would hope that if you do need a sticker but don't have one that scrutineers would be able to inspect but I doubt it will be that easy!!!!

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

In 2007 I had a scrutineer insist that because I use a HANS device, I had to have them scrutineered together. Which was rubbish. So don't count on them knowing the rules.

Then again, half the time they don't look at fire extinguishers or master cylinder reservoirs, or seat belts or anything. I've passed scrutineering just by demonstrating the rain light worked; didn't even have to show the matter switch worked.

Most (all?) scrutineers are open to bacon sandwich bribes too. That's why breakfast time in our awning coincides with scrutineering!!!
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

The suggestion that bacon sarnies could be used as influence with the scrutineers of our sport is quite outrageous. Next you will be suggesting that Qatar somehow influenced the awarding of the Football World Cup and President Putin is an enthusiast of democracy. Wash your mouth (keyboard) out with soap young man! :roll:
You are dead right about HANS and race scrutineers though, I don't take mine any more as they often find something wrong with it even though it is unchanged since it came out of the box when I bought it. Having said that the UK guys are just so much nicer and better than European scrutineers, that species never look at the car, they just check serial numbers on your underpants and the like. I have been very grateful to the odd dangerous matter that the British scrutineers have brought to light on my car. The noise people are a different matter, that process has no science or objectivity whatsoever.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

My advice: Never ever tell the noise wombles that what they are doing is scientifically flawed and wrong. Tried it once. Lucky to be allowed to race.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

Calling them Wombles is unfair to Wombles.

No-one likes the noise goblins.