Mono regs

General Paddock Chatter
Shakeyfinch
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Shakeyfinch »

Richard Purcell wrote: Also as far as club F3, when they struggle to meat minimum grids, the regs will change to get bums in seats as they did at the end 08.
Anyone want to buy a 2001 dallara without engine I for one will not do this twice.
I still think not Richard - you are quite right the invite to Brands was to get bums on seats in an attempt to get the minimum average entry for the year in order to apply for Championship status in 2009.

What the planning meeting clearly showed was none of the drivers actually cared whether it was a championship or series and those stakeholders excluding the driver had no idea of the difference anyhow. Therefore I don't think they will try to 'fix' any deviation to the min average in '09 and hence won't have an invition class.

Furthermore, the most pressing issue (which was important for drivers) is they will not want to put at risk their dispensation to run lower than 40mm ride height by running cars that are not true F3 spec.

Mark H

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Post by Nick Harrison »

tristancliffe wrote:The CF3 stuff is just grapevine stuff - not actually sure about who told me!

But the rest of the annoyance is purely down to self interest I admit. I'm not going to be winning races next year as we acclimatise to the car, but we do face the prospect of extra cash outlay when the regs change. Maybe it's short-sighted of me, I don't know, but it did make my blood boil momentarily :roll:
I think you have missed one of Mark's points. Every one on the grid who is now on carbs and changes to injection will have a similar 'extra' cash outlay to you. Why are you a 'special case'?

As for the flywheel AND balancing. If you apply your mind to it there is an elegant engineering solution that will accomadate both sets of regs without additional cost.

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

I have never ready such a load crap.

just put an engine in car and get on with it.

it will no make the slightest difference to your lap times.

jeremy timms or neal harrison will still be quickest in there old 'spec'
dallaras

any body think it was a professional formula.

who is going to check the eligibility as i have been saying with all this multitude of specs and classes the club will need to appoint a team of scrutineers.

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

I'm not suggesting for a moment I'm/we're a special case. Far from it. I'll be hiding in the middle of the grid trying not to look too stupid most of the time (no change there then!)

But my initial request, when we heard about the 2010 regs, was to try and keep costs down. I was hoping that rather than having to buy a set of carbs, low pressure fuel pumps, manifolds (although there is a decent chance the same manifold can be used), mapping etc, use them for one year, and then buy throttle bodies, high pressure pumps, injection ECU, remapping of the engine etc etc.

The hope was that a) we keep our costs to a sensible level during the rebuild and b) assist the club with balancing the regulations by acting as guinea pig to an extent.

Richard is just as upset as I am, to the point of not bothering with Mono2000 next year. I very much doubt we won't bother, but it stall galls a bit. Had the regs been discussed earlier we probably would have waited (and then got a FR2000? Who knows; one of those 'what if' statements).

To those already in Mono, they have already had the cost, and absorbed it (sort of) in the intervening years. Upgrading at a later date isn't quite such a big issue perhaps. Perhaps it is. I can only speak from my side of the fence. Maybe other people are unhappy, maybe they're not - I don't know. As I said, the annoyance was down to self interest (albeit not consciously!).

Besides, I fully expect that the carb setup will remain quicker than 40mm throttle bodies, so perhaps it's not a relevant discussion anymore :)

I know the flywheel weight can just be bolted on and off (assuming it is balanced). Self-interest strikes again - we've had our crank/clutch/flywheel balanced without the weight on the [wrong] assumption that 2010 regs were being brought forward. Our fault for jumping the gun, yes, but it's still a silly rule with no place in motorsport (in my opinion).
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Dermot Healy
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Dermot Healy »

tristancliffe wrote: ........., but it did make my blood boil momentarily :

Don't let this happen whatever you do......boiling bood would be a very serious matter...... Fortunately there is an easy fix available in the ' Dermots bits' section...just.look under 'oil coolers'

Pigpen
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Pigpen »

I am a special case !!

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I'm not as think as you daft I am.

broadside
Recovery
Recovery

Post by broadside »

Installing a 'blood cooler' without seeking proper medical advice could be dangerous, besides, wouldn't you need an electric fan with that..........?

running on empty
Marshal
Marshal

New Mono2000??

Post by running on empty »

What's going on???

Just checked the forum and all new regs for mono2000.

Tristan - Will a lighter flywheel save me fuel? if so i'm all
for it!

Geoff Fern can now put his Dallara to F3 spec and now do
Mono2000, ClubF3 and Mono1600. Hopefully all on the same
day if he's lucky.

PS. Well said Jim, just stick an engine in it and race. It seems to
work for me.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

It might :wink: :P

You should go and see the Kiwi - he has lots of petrol for sale. And then he can tell you (if you didn't already know) about the silly conspiracy theories about how you managed to beat the lap records at Snet and Spa. Funnily enough, he doesn't think skill and ability are sufficient :D

Don't tell Geoff, he'll go mad trying to do three races in a day if we have a meeting with the BRSCC on a CF3 day!

You forget that you and Jim are talented drivers that don't need to worry about petty details. Human beings, like the rest of us, do!

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AndyY »

tristancliffe wrote:
You should go and see the Kiwi - he has lots of petrol for sale.
I thought he'd just had a couple of million barrells nicked off Kenya - thats next years budget blown. Where's the Royal Navy when a colonial needs them?

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

AndyY wrote:Where's the Royal Navy when a colonial needs them?
Aren't they down the job center these days?

"Job wanted. Can clean, cook and kill. Very punctual. Prefers armed transport and communal showers."

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AndyY »

tristancliffe wrote:
AndyY wrote:Where's the Royal Navy when a colonial needs them?
Aren't they down the job center these days?

"Job wanted. Can clean, cook and kill. Very punctual. Prefers armed transport and communal showers."
Well, the RN is much smaller than it used to be but it is still deployed to many areas of high threat. You'd be surprised how many RN people are even serving in land locked countries like Afghanistan.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

But aren't they in charge of paddling pool safety in Afghan?

I'm only joking. I know what the armed forces do, and how well they do it (the vast majority of them anyway). I certainly wouldn't put myself in those situations voluntarily, so kudos to those that do, even if the morals behind the decision are someone diluted (I doubt it's for Queen and country these days).

bzzzracing
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Mono regs

Post by bzzzracing »

Will the Mono Classic chasis dates be advancing by 1 year?