Monoposto 2014

General Paddock Chatter
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman

Monoposto 2014

Post by andrewcliffe »

Monoposto 2014.

The 2014 season preview brochure has been uploaded to the Mono website. Provisional Calendar to follow shortly and draft regs. I've seen a copy of the proposed calendar and I think most people will like it. Some there are returns to two circuits Mono hasn't been to recently.

New for 2014 is Mono DTEC - a spec class for Formula Ford Duratecs - as per Formula Ford regs, no Mono clever engineering permitted. Not many other places to race them in the UK and now they're not current FF machinery are leaving the country, either to North America or to Europe.

SUNBAC Nova scheme continues, 2 free race entries for 2015 for winner, and one for runner up.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Monoposto 2014

Post by triple j motorsport »

Is it true that Mono Ztec may be dropped?

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

*provisional* calendar now online.

20.03 - test day at Donington Park (4 sessions)

5/6.04 - Snetterton 300
26/27.04 - Silverstone GP
24/25.05 - Rockingham Int'l
14/15.06 - Thruxton (British F3 support)
27/29.06 - Spa-Francorchamps (non-championship)
26/27.07 - Brands Indy
16/17.08 - Brands GP
20/21.09 - Donington GP

4.10 - Castle Combe (Tiedeman Trophy)
18or19.10 - Snetterton 200 (Tiedeman Trophy)
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

tonybishop
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by tonybishop »

Good calendar, surprised by the ' one set of new tyres ' ruling , does that include the tyres you lend to a friend ?....
F1 tyre Mgt meets Mono ! Now we can all blame the tyres .

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

Was anybody actually putting on a new set every meeting, i use 2 1/2sets and thought that was extravagent?

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

I used to use 3 sets per year (including whatever testing I did, which was about 1.5 days per season). The A53s seem to manage about 4-6 races fairly easily.
Last edited by tristancliffe on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonybishop
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by tonybishop »

In my opinion a good quality recognised rain light ( flashing ) should be insisted on, or made absolutely mandatory, having witnessed Steve Patanias incident at Silverstone , i honestly believe this could and should have been avoided ..........

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

Obviously there have been concerns about this which have crept up to board level discussions.

I have heard on the paddock grapevine that one person in F3 Cup used 26 sets of slicks last season (!)

teamfoxracing
Marshal
Marshal

Post by teamfoxracing »

It is not One set of new tyres , the rule is only 2 front 2 rear slick tyres can be used.

well this is how I read it

IE they must be marked by the scrutineer

In my eyes it has good and bad points

It will stop drivers mixing and matching there used tyres over the weekend or buying second hand tyres
from the drivers/teams which have bigger budgets after you have been out in qualifying and realizing those tyres you have
had in the loft for awhile are no good anymore
Dan fox

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

1 Set a meeting. I used to have 1 set a season (second hand at that!).

Although i must admit to using two sets once at a meeting. But the the first set had a puncture after practice (second hand set) and then had to use a set for the race given to me by Francis (3rd hand now!). Good enough for a 3rd overall on the Silverstone Gp track though.

Second hand rubber must be allowed to go on. You would loose a 3rd of the grid if not.
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

teamfoxracing
Marshal
Marshal

Post by teamfoxracing »

You can use used tyres

But what ever you get marked at scrut
Must be the tyres used and its only

2 front tyres (dry)
2 rear tyres (dry)

If you get a puncture you can change but
You have to take it to be marked

People best get the quads and pit trolleys
Ready or it could mean a lot of walking !!
Especially if its a wet morning and scrut time
Is 8 am practise at 9 am and you have already fitted your wets
You have to take your slicks to be marked
Before you go out , incase you have to use them if it
Drys up

But like I said in a previous post this is how
I read the rules , I am sure someone who is more clever than
Me will put me right
Dan fox

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

The obvious answer is that if people scrutineer the car on wets (because it's wet, or because they don't want to push their car around the paddock on their race tyres, or because they haven't had the chance to change them yet...) the eligibility scrutineer can pop round at some point to mark up tyres.

Second hand tyres will still be available, both from within Mono and from other suitable championships.

It's a bit sad that it's come to needing a rule really, but "the public" have a good record of not knowing what is in their best interests.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

andrewcliffe

Post by andrewcliffe »

In F3 Cup you have to nominate your slicks, one set per weekend. As its a spec compound tyre from Avon, a representative from the team writes down the serial number next to the barcode for each tyre and the eligibility scruitineer comes round and collects up the sheet before qualifying.

Because tyres are free in Mono and there is a mixture of Avons, Michelin, Yokohama, Dunlop etc., of all different compounds as well, they will have to make their own marking per tyre.

Could possibly be done in assembly area before cars go out for qualifying.

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

With a special paint pen/symbol/code so that the more cunning competitors don't just mark up all their tyres.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

tonybishop
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by tonybishop »

Am i missing something , appreciate this is a Mgt request, but potentially what a load of extra work for the very busy admin team ! In reality who in Mono at present , is going to use more than one set of tyres per week end, unless they have a problem. Perhaps there are some new and very committed competition on the horizon for 2014 , that's good , and if so surely random engine and fuel checks should also be increased accordingly .....