Monoposto 2014

General Paddock Chatter
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Re: Monoposto 2014

Post by tristancliffe »

Apparently, someone (and I don't know who) felt the need to buy speed by using a new set per day (or possibly per session, but that's surely too much?).
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

tony edwards
Marshal
Marshal

Post by tony edwards »

quote from http://www.monoposto.co.uk/2013/11/chan ... gulations/ "A regulation giving the Club the ability to limit the number of dry tyres used in Mono 2000 and Mono Classic 2000 to one set per meeting will be introduced. Number of wet tyres used remains free. Types of tyre used remain free. The Club hopes that all competitors will agree that “throwing tyres at the car” is not compatible with the strong but fair spirit of competition combined with low cost levels that Monoposto Racing seeks to achieve, and will therefore voluntarily avoid this practice. Otherwise the Club will implement the regulatory limit during the season; with appropriate monitoring, enforcement and penalties."

to me this the important bit of this is "and will voluntarily avoid this practice otherwise the club will implement" - in other words if everyone plays nice, nothing needs be done?

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

what happens when you start the weekend on a set of used tyres that will barely do one day, and want to use another set of worn out tyres for the next day.

I thought this was to stop more than one new set of tyres being used in a weekend,

ofarc
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by ofarc »

I use one set every two years
St. Cross Electronics - Quality Cable Assemblies for the motorsport industry and beyond.
www.motorsportcables.com
www.st-cross-electronics.co.uk

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

jimblockley wrote:what happens when you start the weekend on a set of used tyres that will barely do one day, and want to use another set of worn out tyres for the next day.

I thought this was to stop more than one new set of tyres being used in a weekend,
A small minority spoiling it for the majority.

Can't think of a sensible way to allow that without allowing nefarious types from claiming a used set is nearly dead and they intend to use another nearly dead set on Sunday, when in fact both are fairly new.

Shame.

Maybe change the rules - you allow testing at the track OR new tyres. But not both. (Yes, I know that's not workable either, as you can't define or police testing etc).
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

but surely the idea is to control cost. by not allowing used tyres to be free,cost go up.
after all you have the used tyres already.
If you don,t have a good set of used tyres you would have to go and buy a new set.

When my tyres are near the end i buy 2 tyres for the left side and maybe use 4 used tyres for the right

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

I don't disagree with you Jim! But as soon as you have a rule to combat silly spending, those same people will try and find a way around it by pretending a scrubbed in set of new slicks is "used" (which they sort of are), when most people think of used tyres as those that have done a race or 10 or more.

raidillon
Marshal
Marshal

Post by raidillon »

Isn't it an idea to put a limit on the sets you use in a year, but you are able to use 2 sets for a meeting.
So you get 10 sets for 10 meetings, but you're allowed to use 2 sets for a meeting (to prevent people not being able to drive due to tyre wear). Off course, this brings a lot of work for the scrutineers.

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by schomosport »

As one of the several small teams (me and the missus) I am concerned at the potential for additional race day hassle as has already been mentioned. There is already more than enough to dao with signing-on, scrutineering and drivers briefing. We don't have spare bodies to push cars about and carry wheel / tyre sets up and down the padddock. Nor do many, many others some of whom run entirely single handed.

Can we please have some better information as to why Mono have had to bring in this regulation? How many Mono competitors are actually using tyres at a rate that a regulation like this is needed to control them?
Schomosport

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

One, is probably the answer Mark, its a perception that there is problem that isn't there.

I agree anything that makes the meeting harder for the one man band is wrong.

It would have been been more constructive to banned the number of personnel. lol

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

I am usually single handed as the many kind souls who have helped push my car to scrutiny etc will attest. I buy a new set of tyres per year and I don't trouble the podium a great deal. I'll take my chances on this tyre thing.
Happy Christmas everyone. I hope I'll get to join you for a couple of races net year, work and sand in my joints permitting. : :D

J Chapman
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by J Chapman »

If this is a cost controlling exercise, limiting drivers to one set per weekend surely wont make that much difference. (I'm thinking even the softest slicks will do two qualifying and two races). Surely this could be better managed by stippulating the type(s) of tyre to be used? Even having a new set for each race is far too excessive in my view.

I've go no experience of Mono 2000. But for example the standard FFZetec and FF1600 Avon tyres will do a full season no problem. However we all know some drivers have those sticky ones that only last two meetings.

750MC F4 used to have an approved list of conservative tyres (different sizes and compunds) you could choose from, but then made it free because drivers 'wanted more freedom' and then the hillclimb rubber came out look what happened.

Surely it would be easy enough to make a list of approved tyres from 10" to 6" which could cover every ones car (size wize metric and imperial). A couple of differnt compounds up at the harder end of the scale but still allowing some choice for personal preference.

My point is you should be able to compete on 1 set per year and not be two far off at the end of the season. Two sets maximum.
James Chapman
Car #78
Mono 1800

TFR
Recovery
Recovery

Post by TFR »

I do believe this new tyre rule,if implemented in this form, will not serve the majority of members well. This seems to be a" sledgehammer to crack a nut" It appears that there is maybe only one person actually abusing the "free tyre system" and by now he will have decided to toe the line, if not it would surely be better for us to have a couple of people to explain the spirit of the rules and enforce the same by refusing entries to subsequent meetings for persistent flouting,this would satisfy those complaining and be a deterrent to the abuser.
Most Mono competitors do not have the budget for repeated sets of new tyres but to stop them mixing and matching over a D/H weekend may well force them to buy new sets which they can ill afford, this is surely not what Mono is about, and it may well mean some guys have to give up a weekends racing to make sure they can get by on one set.
A good example is our own Nigel Davers who with a minimal budget came racing with us and won 2 championships without ever buying a tyre but we did have to mix and match on lots of occasions, or raid the Avon or Dunlop scap tyre pile. Aide Heath has yet to buy a tyre since racing in Mono (now 2 seasons) but has managed this years championship by mixing and matching. We should not be penalising these guys.
I would suggest our own Simon Davey and perhaps Alister our Srutineer would be good people to keep an eye on tyre abuse and enforce the spirit of the rules as outlined above thus helping our average Mono competitor and deterring the abusers, what we don't need is too many rules, keep things as free as possible, this is, I am sure, the ethos that makes Mono so popular.
GF
Team Fern Racing.
Geoff Fern #7 and #77,
Sarah Harvey-Fern

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

Draft calendar 2 now on the main mono site. Most (but not all) of the dates the same, but some of the circuits have swapped round.

Brands Hatch Indy out, Oulton Park in.

Apparently this is 99% certain to be the final calendar.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

The following is posted by me ON BEHALF OF A LEADING COMPETITOR WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE FORUM

Gentlemen

I have read the relevent posts on this thread and feel the need to point out some basic facts to quell your concerns.

This new rule has been instigated as a measure that can be implemented to stop the "haves" creating a situation of buying new tyres at every meeting. It is not inconceivable that Mr "City"Boy comes to race in Mono and has a set of nice soft tyres to qualify on for a 3 lap run to grab pole and then fit new race slicks at every round. This will naturally create a difficult situation for other competitors who will the feel need to "keep up" that they will need to apply a similar level of expense buying more tyres.

At the moment tyres are free and you do not have to drag all your dry tyres to scrutineering with your car that is on its wet tyres. I have no worries about this new rule being available for future use, is it not better to have the tool in the tool box and never use it than to be wanting the tool at a later date? The rule, if it is ever brought into force, does not state new or used tyres either and it is really quite simple in that if some one wants to flash the cash and buy new tyres at every meeting it will be implemented and the whole grid wil be told which party is responsible. After all, Monoposto is a clubman's category. It's meant to be for fun but I appreciate there are drivers that run cars on a limited budget with used tyres and there are others that can afford to buy new tyres 2 or 3 times a season if they contest all test days and every meeting of the year championship or non championship.

The key wording is highlighted below and I wonder how many of you actually read the SRs that are given to you for each meeting? They are not the same for every track race club or event and you need to double check them. The wording of the rule also points to which class is affected and it is always best to read the rules thoroughly!

5.13.3 Unless the Supplementary Regulations for the meeting specify otherwise, for cars running in the Mono 2000 and Mono Classic 2000 classes only two front and two rear "dry" tyres per meeting(including Double and Twin Header meetings) are permitted per car. Competitors prior to qualifying must ensure that the four "dry" tyres they wish to use for the duration of the whole meeting have been identification-marked by the Championship Scrutineer.

During a meeting an identification-marked tyre must not be substituted without obtaining approval from theChampionship Scrutineer, who will identification-mark the replacement tyre. If approval is not obtained, the Competitor is responsible to ensure that continued use of the tyre is safe. Any identification-marked tyre which has been substituted must be presented in conjunction with the relevant car at post qualifying/race scrutineering. Any competitor found during post qualifying/race scrutineering, to have qualified or raced with an unmarked or incorrectly marked tyre will be subject to judicial procedures and penalties under C3 of the 2014 MSA Year Book;but Championship penalties under C3.5.1 will not be applied. The number of wet-weather tyres permitted per car per meeting is free.

A wet-weather tyre is any tyre other than an identification-marked "dry" tyre. Wet-weather tyres can only be used if the track is declared "Wet" by the Clerk of the Course. The car's rear light must be illuminated at all times when it is running on wet-weather tyres.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism