Fuel Tank puzzle

General Paddock Chatter
stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Fuel Tank puzzle

Post by stevengriffin »

Option 3 was the one I used. Low pressure Facet pump from bottom of main tank to swirl pot, high pressure pump from swirl pot to rail with a bit of a spaghetti piping to run overflow fuel back to the swirl pot or main tank. Simples :D
Option 4 is of course available to anyone. :(

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by triple j motorsport »

stevengriffin wrote:Option 3 was the one I used. Low pressure Facet pump from bottom of main tank to swirl pot, high pressure pump from swirl pot to rail with a bit of a spaghetti piping to run overflow fuel back to the swirl pot or main tank. Simples :D
Option 4 is of course available to anyone. :(
Exactly what I have done return fuel into swirl pot and then over flow of the swirl pot into tank.

You're welcome to come and take some photos.

First thing is to get Gavin to change the tank to pipe outlet.

You'll need to remove the front floor to get it out.

Shake it to see if any of the baffles are broken off.

When you refit it wrap it in thin rubber matting like the stuff used at the bottom of draws and wedge it in place with other bits of rubber so it can't move about.

vectorman
Marshal
Marshal

Post by vectorman »

Hi Pete. The way to solve your fuel surge problem is to fit a fuel collector pot & use 2 fuel pumps. The collector pot needs to be 1 litre capacity (regulations maximum size). You need to fit a low pressure high flow lift pump in the tank to feed the collector pot then fit a high pressure 3bar (around 120 L / hr) fuel pump that will pull fuel from the bottom of the collector pot & feed the injection rail. The return from the injection rail needs to run back into the top of the collector pot (use aeroquip - 6 fuel line & fittings for the high pressure side). You will also need an overflow exit from the top of the collector pot that will feed excess fuel back to the fuel tank when the collector pot fills up. When the engine is idling or at low revs (off throttle & under braking etc) the collector pot will fill up faster than the high pressure pump is delivering to the injection rail so it's full & ready for when you're under full power when it will slowly empty. With this system you should be able to run the car with very low fuel levels 0.3L - 1L. The 2nd pump can be run off the switched side of your fuel pump relay (you might have to up the amperage spec of the relay slightly because the 2 pumps will draw more current). The exact layout & fitment of this design does depend slightly on the exact design of your fuel tank, but i presume you have a foam filled bladder tank with or without an internal lift cavity, either way its pretty straight forward to fit it. I run this system as standard on my Vector with no problems at all & i can run my tank down to virtually empty with no surge. My car won't surge with this design, it will just run out because the collector pot & pump will pump every last drop it can to the injection rail. You could have your own collector pot fabricated or i think Demon tweeks sell quite a good range of various collector pots & small tanks. If you need any more advise on it then feel free to ring me on 07811674623. P.S. I have some Zetec 6" & 7" steel Weller wheels if you're interested.

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

Thanks for all the pointers. Looks like I get to play in the garage after the last race of the season then. Until then I will just make sure the tank is fully topped up every time I got out.
#58 - Annoying the back of the 1600 grid.