Dubai

General Paddock Chatter
stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Dubai

Post by stevengriffin »

I'm thinking about possibly taking a job in Dubai. I'm going through the usual plus and minus things. The positives are the predictable ones of course. One question is what to do at the weekends, I like fettling and generally messing about with race cars. In fact I very much like my life right here in Blighty, Cadwell on a sunny day is as good as it gets for me.
Does anyone have any knowledge of local Motorsport? I know they have the annual 24hour race and I have seen some stuff about Radicals. Are there any clubs for middle aged slow coaches like me?
Any information out there in the monoposti fraternity gratefully received.
Perhaps now Hull City are in the premier league I should stick with the East Riding.

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Dubai

Post by triple j motorsport »

Why weren't you out at Brands?

You doing the next rounds?

omsracer
Recovery
Recovery

Post by omsracer »

Steve you can always go to the Yas Marina circuit and drive any number of cars from single seat ex Palmer Audi V6's to Radicals and Aston Martins. Its a great circuit and they let you out on your own as well. If that doesn't ring your chimes, they also have a number of evenings there were the locals turn up with a 'run what you brung' format. Not as good as a good Mono weekend though!

Cheers
Peter
Peter Whitmore
Car # 4
2000 Classic

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

Spa next meeting for me then Oulton.
Thanks for the info. I'll see what happens re working there. There is more to life than money. I may have to get Ewen to show me how to drive a Radical SR3, they look wicked and they have a series for them in Dubai.
Mind you if any of my patients die they will probably cut my hands off so it won't matter. :shock:

Anson
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Anson »

stevengriffin wrote:Spa next meeting for me then Oulton.
Thanks for the info. I'll see what happens re working there. There is more to life than money. I may have to get Ewen to show me how to drive a Radical SR3, they look wicked and they have a series for them in Dubai.
Mind you if any of my patients die they will probably cut my hands off so it won't matter. :shock:
Not wishing to appear picky, but if they die, they won't be in any state to cut your hands off :D

Dubai is a bit too close to Bahrain really - treat the wrong person and you get jailed.

I've had offers every year to do the 24hr race there and have always declined - with circuits like Spa and the Nürburgring to race on in Europe, the idea of 24hrs in the sand dunes has never really excited me.

Having said all of that, if the job is good and the money very good then a stint of a few years would nicely top up the racing, sorry retirement, fund.
Peter Venn

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

Yes you're right the poor old deceased are rubbish at retaliation. I was thinking more of the authorities and their inclination towards and enthusiasm for upper limb dismemberment.
I'm informed that the local feudal royalty in UAE are rather more on the reasonable side than the barbarians that run Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Getting a job in Saudi is really very easy for many surgeons as it can be a fairly c**p place to work and funnily enough the money isn't that good. Women dressed head to toe in black, no race tracks, no red wine and you have to give up your passport when you start work there. No thanks.