USE OF LIGHTS/ FLAGS AT RACE CIRCUITS

General Paddock Chatter
GP
Marshal
Marshal

USE OF LIGHTS/ FLAGS AT RACE CIRCUITS

Post by GP »

Long overdue at circuits on all marshalls posts must be the system of red amber and green lights. [flags still used to cover stationary/crashed vehicles]. Incidently Brooklands race circuit is 100 years old. And my understanding is flags where [at race circuits] introduced here....101..years ago' NO arguement stands WHATSOEVER that lights whatever the visibility cannot be seen. ie low sun.rain.mist . etc...They must be of serious use as LE MANS have had them in use for years....ALSO in the uk at speedway and stock car stadiums as racing is so close to the circuit perimiter keeping marshalls safe. IF any reader is in doubt simply visit one of thease events as one will be astounded how simple and efective lights are. Also it shows the thinking mind of Tom Wheatcroft as he instaled lights at his Donnington park race circuit upon rebuilding it. we are in 2008...not 1907. ps i hope Tristian is capable of understanding this long overdue idea

Shakeyfinch
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Shakeyfinch »

I would think the reason Le Mans, speedway and stock car racing use lights has more to do with the fact they run at night/in dusk as opposed to the proximity of the racing to the barriers.

I don't see any problem with flags. I would hazard a guess that drivers who appear not to adhere to flags or claim they didn't see them are just as likely to do the same with lights.

Surely if lights were materially safer the MSA would demand Mr Palmer dip his hands into his deep pockets.

Low Flying Kiwi

Post by Low Flying Kiwi »

How about electric shock treatment.... you pass a yellow without slowing down and you get a tingle.... you overtake and you get a huge great bolt.... if you dont slow doen on a red you get a killer dose!

OK, wouldnt work for Jim Blockley, it would just wake him up... but for most people it seems a reasonable way of ensuring rules are obeyed.

Of course run off areas are protected by razor wire and 45mm high metal spikes :D

Nick Harrison
Recovery
Recovery

Re: USE OF LIGHTS/ FLAGS AT RACE CIRCUITS

Post by Nick Harrison »

GP wrote:Long overdue at circuits on all marshalls posts must be the system of red amber and green lights. [flags still used to cover stationary/crashed vehicles]. Incidently Brooklands race circuit is 100 years old. And my understanding is flags where [at race circuits] introduced here....101..years ago' NO arguement stands WHATSOEVER that lights whatever the visibility cannot be seen. ie low sun.rain.mist . etc...They must be of serious use as LE MANS have had them in use for years....ALSO in the uk at speedway and stock car stadiums as racing is so close to the circuit perimiter keeping marshalls safe. IF any reader is in doubt simply visit one of thease events as one will be astounded how simple and efective lights are. Also it shows the thinking mind of Tom Wheatcroft as he instaled lights at his Donnington park race circuit upon rebuilding it. we are in 2008...not 1907. ps i hope Tristian is capable of understanding this long overdue idea
2007 was the last time that a contingent from the UK Hillclimb fraternity went to Le Mans 24 hours as flag marshals. Then during the day orthodox flags were used at all marshals posts and whereas it is true that lights were used at night it is just a white light which you shine onto a board which replicates the flag. So blue board, green board etc..

For stopping the race if necessary there are several light gantries around the circuit with reds on.