Medicals

General Paddock Chatter
foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Medicals

Post by foggy »

As Luke is now 18 he has to have a medical for his licence, we went to our gp who said they had to charge £90 which seems like a lot for a quick check over? is there any other cheaper way or do we just pay up?

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Medicals

Post by schomosport »

Look on the web for someone local to you who does HGV etc. medicals, they will probbaly do the MSA one for a similar fee. I use one in Milton Keynes who charges about £40.

If that is 'local' to you pm me and I will advise contact info.
Schomosport

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

Where do you live? I'll do it for free if you want to get to me. I used to do lots of stress ECGs for other drivers but I ran out of favours with my local private hospital (I obviously aren't taking them enough business) but I can do the standard medical.
I have to say £90 seems good value to me. A tank of fuel. The doctor went to med school for five or six years and has to run his building, pay his malpractice insurance and pay his staff. You need to try lawyers!
Anyway I live in Beverley East Yorkshire. Oh yeh, I am a doctor...

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your very kind offer, however you're quitre a lot further north than us so wouldn't be viable.
I have contacted another Gp from a local surgery who seems to think he needs access to Luke's medical records? reading the form I don't think he does? I have a class one CAA which cost's me £120 and that is why I thought £90 for MSA which for an 18 year old doesn't consist of an ecg to be rather steep, I do understand all the training and overheads but they wanted to do a full medical on me but saved them the time as I have the class 1 so thought in return they'd sign off Luke's.
Thanks once again for your offer.
Tony.

NigelD
Marshal
Marshal

Post by NigelD »

£90 is about the going rate,

and think I’m right in saying its a one off - unless anything changes health wise.

the next one would be at 45-50yrs or something like that?.. mine consisted of look left, look right, tap knee, blood pressure, move feet, - £90 done! and i didn’t have to wait a week for an appointment either??!!
Nigel Davers,
#77 - Test Pilot

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

I didn't realise it was a one off until he was older so that helps him, poor boy!
See you at the do Nigel. I hear you and Adrian bumped into boy wonder at the Autosport show.

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

Unfortunately I'm on holiday for the dinner dance or I would have done medicals on everyone for free(after a few drinks all pass- quite remarkable).
The offer stands though, if anyone is unable to get a cooperative GP and doesn't mind making the long and hazardous journey along the M62 I'm happy to help out.
If anyone has trouble getting their GP to pass them due to cardiovascular problems let me know. I have managed to get most people through (as long as they actually have a pulse) even those who have had coronary bypass/diabetes/hypertension etc.
Must go, Lance Armstrong and Ben Johnson are waiting to see me :wink:

stevenconnor
Recovery
Recovery

Post by stevenconnor »

I had my HGV medical carried out last year (I need to get a bigger truck so time to do the full licence) and went with one of these types of firms.

http://www.driversmedicals.com/

£50 for the HGV medical which seemed to involve about double the work my MSA medical has been each year. No need for them to be my GP or access any records.

Now it might seem strange but... these firms bring their 'clinic' to a lay-by near you!

PS and on the "coronary bypass/diabetes/hypertension"... I have had a driver race one of my cars who had a heart transplant as a teenager. Getting the medical approval wasn't easy but his surgeons were very keen and very helpful

Twin 45's
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Twin 45's »

can I have the name and number of the GP in MK as I live nearby and need a medical. Thanks.

schomosport
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Medicals - Milton Keynes

Post by schomosport »

Peachyhealth.co.uk 01908 506547
Schomosport

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

Bobby, you ever thought of being a politician? :lol:
I was with you up to the nhs doctor £50-90 bit then I was lost?
All sorted now with peachyhealth for £35, more affordable for an 18yr old at college. :)

stevengriffin
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by stevengriffin »

I've got news for some of you. GPs have been self employed since 1948. Only hospital doctors are employees of the NNHS.

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

If you want blood grouping , go and give blood and they will inform you what you have.....
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

lee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by lee »

And you can have a cup of tea and chocolate biscuits after.....
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

I suspect the only reason I do give blood is for the biscuits and coffee. I can't be totally sure (subconscious and all that), but if they stopped the post-giving 'meal' I'd probably not bother.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012