Forum -> Facebook Groups

For all Monoposto Club Matters
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

Forum -> Facebook Groups

Post by tristancliffe »

Patrick has twice written on Startline asking for opinions for moving the forum to Facebook.

I say NO.

1. Not all members are 'on' Facebook. I know for a fact that my Dad, for example, reads this forum (as a guest), but will never hae anything to do with Facebook, Friendface, MySpace, Bebo etc. What percentage of Mono people (not necessarily direct members) would moving the forum to Facebook cut off? 10%? 90%? 50%?

2. Facebook is NOT a forum. It allows basic discussion, but it is not as easily moderated, organised or browsed.

3. Facebook is evil. Maybe not as evil as Google, but it's getting there. To my knowledge there hasn't been a movie about Google made yet, which is some comfort.

4. If the Board of Directors feel that the forum is an unneccessary evil, then shut it down, not move the discussions/arguments/name-calling etc to a place where unruly people can't be banned, private messages can't be sent (as easily, depending on users' privacy settings), and the whole thing becomes unmanageable. Shutting it down would, of course, lessen the 'community' feel of Monoposto. There might be less public arguments (although there aren't many really - have you been to other forums? We're pretty damn nice here in comparison), but there would also be less interesting topics so readily available.

I can see ZERO benefit to moving the forum to Facebook. I can see MANY benefits of leaving it here as it is.

That is all.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent

Re: Forum -> Facebook Groups

Post by samier »

Facebook is a social menace and an evil! I agree the forum should not move there!

Tailgate
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Tailgate »

I'm not a big fan of facebook, I like the current forum format, I do realise it requires effort from the admistrators to keep it up and running...its much appreciated.

My vote is no to Facebook.

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

I hope that since I had a tinker under the bonnet the spam problem has reduced somewhat.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

Yes, it works like a charm. I still send emails to people before they sign up and interestingly we've had a couple who haven't responded.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism