Lap records

For all Monoposto Club Matters
Vincent Fox

Lap records

Post by Vincent Fox »

Perhaps the club should set up new lap records given that cars in Mono 2000 can now run with throtle bodies (despite a general agreement not to do so amoungst competitors). There could be a new section of lap records for those set with Mono cars post 2009. This would acknowledge the new rules allow for more powerful cars that should be able to set new records. Without this it seems demeaning to all the previous record holders. Lets face it, the club would acknowledge an old lap record if a circuit was made shorter.

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Lap records

Post by RedRedWine »

No, not really necessary. Much easier to restrict them for next year. Another 20kg? Reduce choke to, ooh, say 36mm? Both? That should put them back nice and equal. And because bike carbs aren't really designed to run on cars, anybody with them should be given extra points. Or allowed to run lighter, lower, or all 3. It's only fair.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

Its not fair my old car weighs 590kg so i think that should be the weight limit plus 20kgs for Mono2000.
that would make Vincent competative judging by the size of his beer belly.
I agree about lap records though. For instance Peter Venns record at Mallory gives the impression that it is the fastest a Classic mono car has been around there, when in fact my record 44.36 was set in my Ralt,s cuurent spec which complies with Mono classic

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

Jim - if you have a list of lap records, that you know have been established in a current 2000 Classic spec car, prior to this classes existance, I can put them on the 2000 Classic lap record page.

I wouldn't mark them as an official record as they were set prior to the classes existance, but as a guide to what would be possible on the right day, with the right driver, in the right car...

Then you can come out again next season and claim them again!
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

jimblockley
Recovery
Recovery

Post by jimblockley »

Andrew

I see that the old lap records are listed in the results drop down under lap records.

On reflection it would be quite difficult to list the old lap records in cars that now running in classic.

For instance all Amanda Whitakkers lap records where set in a FVL that is eligible for Classic. But the car when she was racing would not comply with the Classic regs as it was considerably under the current weight limit.

The only way lap records could be listed that would have any baring on the current Classic class, is for the period after a weight limit was introduced.

All the Ralts and i think the Anson were always heavier than the current weight limit also the Van Diemen 2000 cars were raced after the weight limit was introduced.

Jim

scorchio
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scorchio »

Most definately should be different lap records. Watch Tristans Croft video.
See how he needed to back off on the last corner of the back straight to
avoid shunting me, while I was flat.
Trouble now carbs are not an option with a mono2000 car.
Who's idea was it anyway? Injection.. 2k - 1-2 seconds faster???
No wonder Classic is more popular.

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

My earlier post was ironic.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

I'm not going to pretend that the injection doesn't give a few more hp at the top, but not as many as people seem to think. The Toyota engines have always been a bit stronger at the top end, even on carbs I was quicker in a straight line than the Vauxhall cars I raced against. The Purcells and Woodhouses have more power than we do.

I do think that the injection rules need to be adjusted to limit the power to make it comparable to carbed cars. I don't want Mono to become a spending category any more than anyone else. Limit the number of injectors per cylinder and consider revising the maximum throttle size.

And finally, I think you have proved that carbs are still viable and competitive in Mono2000. The only time I've had a massive speed advantage was at Thruxton, and that was because I was attacking and you were cruising, and maximum power is even more important there than anywhere.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by Paperman »

scorchio wrote:Most definately should be different lap records. Watch Tristans Croft video.
See how he needed to back off on the last corner of the back straight to
avoid shunting me, while I was flat.
Trouble now carbs are not an option with a mono2000 car.
Who's idea was it anyway? Injection.. 2k - 1-2 seconds faster???
No wonder Classic is more popular.
Mono Classic increased from 19 last year to 30 this year (58% growth)
Mono 2000 + Mono Formula 2000 increased from 15 last year to 22 this year (47% growth)

Given the changes that were made to both classes and the higher costs for Mono 2000 I think this growth looks OK for both these classes.

Simon Davey

Monoposto Racing Club
Administrator