Ian Addlesee RIP

For all Monoposto Club Matters
RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: Ian Addlesee RIP

Post by RedRedWine »

This is a real shock.

I raced against Ian in my early days and always found him friendly, competitive but clean and fair. He was very welcoming to a newcomer and when he went to do track days we missed his presence.

My condolences to his family.

Tony Cotton
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Dave »

Very sad news.
Ian was a gentleman.
If I remember correctly Ian sold his red Van Diemen to someone who never used it and it was bought off E-bay by Jonathan Baggott who raced it several times. I believe Ian had volunteered his services to set the car up correctly.

Condolences to Ian's family.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

phuston
Recovery
Recovery

Post by phuston »

Very distressing news.

Ian was an experienced, fast, Mono1600 driver when I started racing. He was always approachable and helpful. When we were racing together his driving was clean, fast and fair. After Ian sold his immaculate RF87, when we met, we discussed Monoposto and his ambitions with regard to trackdays.

Condolences to his family.

Patrick
Patrick H
Mono1800 Rep & Club Sec

GP
Marshal
Marshal

Post by GP »

Ian was good fun polite and a true club racer.we had some good safe fast scraps ON TRACK. Once at snetterton after chasing and squeezing by Ian after most of the race .Ian in parc ferme put his arm around me and said Mr Pashley...you dont give up do you THAT WAS WORTH COMING FOR..THATS MOTOR RACING. incidently in that race Ian owned the widest RF 81 ever. may on behalf of my brother Keith and myself offer our kind thaughts of Ian to all the Addlesee family at this sad time. Kind regards to you all. Geoff Pashley

AVIT!
Recovery
Recovery

Post by AVIT! »

Extreamly sad news!
On behalf of myself , My father Jock and all at team AVIT!
I wish to say how sorry we are to hear this news. Ian is one of those names that is often spoken in the paddock and im sure always will!
Love to his family and all close to him in this very sad time!

Ewen!
Avit! motorsport taking club racing back to its routes by beating wallets on a small budget!

jonathanbaggott
Marshal
Marshal

Post by jonathanbaggott »

Very sad news. Having bought Ian's RF87 (via a tortuous route involving e-bay) I rang him on several occasions with questions about the car. He was always most helpful and encouraging.
Ian came to the 50th Mono anniversary at Rockingham last year (with one of his grandsons)and I finally had the pleasure of meeting him and discussing the car + club racing in general; you couldn't doubt his enthusiasm and knowledge.
I am planning on campaigning the red RF87 this year and if I can get it to run smoothly I want to race it at Snetterton.
It still carries Ian's name on its sides and I think I will leave his name intact, in the hope that I may inherit some of his enthusiasm and speed.
JB

Hasbeen
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Hasbeen »

Having been off line for a couple of days I have only just found out about Ian's death.
I knew Ian for the whole of his Monoposto career and he absolutely typified all that Monoposto stood for. A real enthusiast, having fun in his car and enjoying the fellowship and company of like minded individuals. He added to the ambience and camaradarie of the paddock and was a committed and fair racer. I last saw Ian at Rockingham and it was good to share a few memories with him. He had clearly been ill but the old cheeky smile and sparkle in the eyes was there. The same old Ian.
How sad to hear of his death. My heartfelt sympathy to his familly on the loss of a great chap.
David Cox
Re-living past glories.

digga
Marshal
Marshal

Post by digga »

Many thanks to you all for the kind comments you've posted. My family and I are truly grateful to have heard a little of you thoughts and experiences with Ian. We will continue to follow the Mono website and hope to catch up with Jonathan's RF87 in the future. (Thanks for the comment about the name on the side, it is a touching gesture.)

Safe racing,
Darren Addlesee