Monoposto newbie, help required

For all Monoposto Club Matters
phuston
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Monoposto newbie, help required

Post by phuston »

Double declutching makes sense, and is necessary, on 'crash' gearboxes on vehicles with heavy flywheels, unresponsive engines,and widely spaced ratios

Sounds like FF1800 to me 0-135mph on four speeds but, in my car, on my ratios, the suggested technique does work for me between third and fourth where the gap is sufficiently small, otherwise I am not brutal enough.

Not that i could do any of it properly.....

Same applies to me.

Patrick
Patrick H
Mono1800 Rep & Club Sec

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

Me talking about driving technique is like John Prescott talking about anorexia, but on the subject of Hewland (non-sequential box) gearchanging we had advice from William Hewland at the tech seminar a couple of years ago that (if you use the right technique) there is no need to use the clutch on up changes. I know several "leading" drivers don't.

Off thread again.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

Upshifts sans clutch are quite easy. Apply pressure to lever, then lift throttle - do it right and the gear changes are near instant. Do it wrong (as I still do too frequently) and you get a loud crunching noise, and have to fumble for the clutch pedal, and have another go.

Downshifts can also be clutchless, but this is harder to do - I've only managed it on a few occasions when not intending to. 99% of the time I heal and toe which saves dog rings and stops the rear wheels locking.

I never bother double declutching, except in 1930s road cars.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

jshelswell
Marshal
Marshal

Post by jshelswell »

hi there,
Ive just left a top renault uk team and now working on new projects in the monoposto paddock.
The renault does require a full time mechanic to look after it. But at this level if you can spanner a car and are willing to check the clutch after a race weekend it wont be a problem.As for spares they are expensive to buy for. If you do purchase one please feel free to contact me as I have alot of knowledge on set-up and data etc. Another good option for a car is a JKS (speads) which is a nice looking reliable quick car.The upside of of a JKS is the spares are half the price of Renault and they are more forgiving to drive.It won the 1200F class last season and would take alot less attention than the renault.
my contact is 07766103115.