PIEDRAFITA

For all Monoposto Club Matters
RAWPower
Marshal
Marshal

PIEDRAFITA

Post by RAWPower »

Have we had approval for the 2015 Regs from the MSA or are we slipping this one in to keep one of the members happy??

All the toyota engines are basically a Piedrafita engine anyway and do not comply with the regs in terms of a Standard engine!

Russ
Flag waver
Flag waver

Re: PIEDRAFITA

Post by Russ »

Hello Robbie

This is not a change to any of the regulations.
You will see that we have confirmed a 25mm restrictor, exactly the same as a FIA F3 engine.
In effect what we are saying is that you can run a Piedrafita, but you have to have the same rules as any other F3 engine.

Russ

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Post by andrewcliffe »

With a 25mm restrictor rather than its 31mm restrictor, the engine will not reach the higher rpm where it develops its peak power., because it can't ingest enough air, and if the seals are intact no internal fiddling can take place.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

RAWPower
Marshal
Marshal

Post by RAWPower »

I don't think the club sees the point.
I have personaly spent close to 40k on a new car (and it's still not finished) built to the regs and have two piedrafita engines sitting in the barn. I asked Russ and Simon last year when the Piedrafita and the 05 car will be let in. "Definatly not in2015" was the answer. So I have built a car to suit the regs as I thought they were stabilised!!!!How wrong was I.
My plan is to race myself in mono for at least another five years and my son Joseph will be out in the 02 car once we let in the 05 car.

Top of the agenda at the AGM.

tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award

Post by tristancliffe »

RAWPower wrote:All the toyota engines are basically a Piedrafita engine anyway and do not comply with the regs in terms of a Standard engine!
That's quite a statement.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

RAWPower
Marshal
Marshal

Post by RAWPower »

Statement of Fact Tristan

I remember a previous mono champion having his Toyota engine rebuilt by Scholar and being told it was illegal....but carried on with it!!!!!

tristancliffe

Post by tristancliffe »

It's not a statement of fact without facts to back it up, not conjecture or one bit of hearsay. Our Toyota engines were all totally standard internally from a single engine donor and completely within the regulations. In fact, they were actually conservatively inside the regulations. And the never once blew up - I don't know how you make an unreliable Toyota.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

RAWPower
Marshal
Marshal

Post by RAWPower »

Who said I was talking about your engines?

tonybishop
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by tonybishop »

Hey Robbie , so basically you would like, an input on the calendar , all Toyota engines banned , and to be consulted on any alterations to the regs prior to implication , :lol:

Redracer77
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Redracer77 »

What is the price difference & power difference between the 2 engines - a normal Mono Toyota engine and a Spanish one? I must admit it would have been nice to be informed that the Spanish engine was being considered as it would have made it easier for me when I bought my Dallara chassis and have now commissioned a Mono Toyota to be built which has quite a long lead time.
Chris Hodgen
Dallara 304
No 70

RAWPower
Marshal
Marshal

Post by RAWPower »

In answer to Tony's post...The members own the club, elect the board and have their say on Regs and calendar, that is the whole point of club motorsport. Im not saying ban anything but we have to have a level field to play on and it seemed the regs get adjusted to suit whoever. The stability is key and has served Mono well but all this doesn't help (neither do my negative posts :cry: )

After a long telephone conversation with a member this morning I agree we should let in the Piedrafita but I was told no way last year and now its has been let in...Chris Hodgen has just highlighted this in his post as it is easier to fit albeit with less power.

My apologies for any offence caused by my posts....but this action has cost me at least 20k and I saw RED!... We must remember this is a club run by committee and we should have been asked as a minimum and not just posted on FB/Forum or it could have waited two weeks for the AGM.
I do feel for Steve as he has only just taken over and all this is probably making him feel like running and hiding away somewhere so my apologies....

Thanks for Reading

Robbie

tonybishop
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by tonybishop »

Fair comment Robbie....... could not resist the wind up !! Also a very valid point , considering the obvious and imminent issue of when the 05/07 chassis shall be permitted .
Perhaps the date for 05/07 's should be considered at the next AGM , and plenty of notice ( months ) offered , if the 05 chassis is to be accepted or not for the 2016 season , ie a pre set cut off date approx mid season .
Just a thought............

Redracer77
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by Redracer77 »

I assume if the Spanish engine is slower then you wouldn't have used it anyway Robbie :0 So your £20k investment is safe! Looking forward to seeing your car finished and out on track.

All credit to you for your above post.
Chris Hodgen
Dallara 304
No 70

scorchio
Marshal
Marshal

Post by scorchio »

A Piedrafita with a 25mm restrictor wont go! Will be way down on Mono spec engine power. Not sure what all the fuss is about. It would struggle for power against a Mono engine even with the bigger restrictor.