Colin Thorpe

For all Monoposto Club Matters
Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Colin Thorpe

Post by Paperman »

I'm very sorry to have to tell everyone that Colin Thorpe has passed away unexpectedly on Friday 19 July 2013.

Colin was very well known in the Monoposto Racing Club and in the whole UK single seater racing scene, over many years. His son Olly has been a very successful race driver in Monoposto and other series in recent seasons, among other awards winning the Ray Dackombe Memorial Trophy. Many people will also remember Colin's son Moss Thorpe who died at a very young age when he was on the brink of a successful career as a professional race driver.

Colin was also a very long standing personal friend, who gave me a tremendous amount of help and support at various stages of my own racing career.

Very sincere condolences to Colin's family, and especially to his children, at this unexpected tragedy.

I will provide details about the funeral arrangements when I have them.

Simon Davey
Administrator
Monoposto Racing Club
email: admin@monoposto.co.uk
tel: 01327 843056

AVIT!
Recovery
Recovery

Re: Colin Thorpe

Post by AVIT! »

Our deepest sympathy goes to his family.
I did not know him extremely well but on the conversations we had I learnt that he was a well of knowledge and experience and will be a loss to our racing community .
All at AVIT! Motorsports.
Avit! motorsport taking club racing back to its routes by beating wallets on a small budget!

stevenconnor
Recovery
Recovery

Post by stevenconnor »

Colin was someone who wasn't afraid to call a spanner a spanner, even if that wasn't always the most popular view... but you knew a) he believed it and b) it was based on a huge wealth of motorsport experience. We usually sought each other out in the paddock, shared awning or garage or swapped spares to keep one another running. Going to miss the old #######!
RIP Colin, condolences to Olly and the family.

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by triple j motorsport »

My father and I send our condolences to Olly and the rest of his family. We have known Colin for many years my father having raced against Moss and myself against Olly.

Colin was a colourful character and will be missed in the padock.

John

RedRedWine
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by RedRedWine »

I remember first meeting Colin 2 years ago at Anglesey. He roundly abused me for parking in his patch. I quickly came to realise that under the gruff exterior was a very kind and genuine man with a huge practical knowledge. We had an electrical problem and there was no way Colin was going to let us be stopped - he kept searching till he found the bit we needed in his spares. It was always a pleasure to see him. He will be missed.
Tony Cotton
Accepting reality with stoicism

marksmith
Marshal
Marshal

Post by marksmith »

Definitely one of the old school, and none the worse for that.
Condolences to family.

Paperman
Mechanic
Mechanic

Colin Thorpe's Funeral

Post by Paperman »

Colin Thorpe's funeral will be at 1.30pm on Friday 9 August , at Cambridge Crematorium on the A14.
Then to the The Hoops in Barton.

Simon Davey
admin@monoposto.co.uk
01327 843056